Recommended Vacuum for Pet Hair (Great Dane Shedding)?

Hi All!

Long time lurker here, but thought I'd send out a post to introduce myself and ask a question.

I'm James and have a 6yo Fawn Great Dane named Harvey. Benson and Willow (i.e. my username) have unfortunately passed, but Harvey  has been an amazing addition to my family!

Unfortunately he's been shedding a fair bit more of late now that he's getting older we think, and we've decided we want to get a new vacuum to keep on top of things. I'm wondering if anybody has used a a Dyson vacuum (like this)? I've tried out a cheaper model like this one and it has a bunch of power and enough attachments, but not sure if the Dyson justifies the higher price?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by bensonwillow

We once had three German Shepherds at the same time - that's a lot of hair. Now we have one GSD and two English Setters. Still a fair bit of hair. We have two Dysons - a barrel and a stick. The barrel one would have to be 8 or 9 years old. At the time it seemed to be much better than anything else.

But now I think things have changed. After all, his patent has expired. (This story is old, but gives some information https://www.ft.com/content/65d41ba2-9a9f-11e5-be4f-0abd1978acaa

I'm not sure what I would buy now, but I would look around before automatically choosing Dyson.

However, their customer service has been awesome. 

Kamuzz can’t  read that link without a subscription. I like my Dyson but have been wondering about the new LG stick. Reading reviews there seem to be a fair few complaints. We’ve had the Dyson a good few years now and a plastic dohicky that you press to empty it has broken. But I love that you can pull it apart to clear blockages.

I've got the dyson cinetic big ball. I didn't go for the one advertised as the "animal owner" one, and instead just got the standard one with the usual head attachments. I really like it, especially that it rights itself when I know it over. Plus it is strong and bagless.

I wasn't intending to get a dyson, it was just the one that demonstrated best at the best price when I went in to harvey norman in person. I went around to every brand rep they had on the floor, had them demonstrate the vacuum and tuned out when they started talking about all the extras or trying to predict what I wanted.

If you can, go into a store in person to try them out - even if u end up buying one online cheaper somewhere. Helps you get a good feel for their suction power.

40 minutes ago, Gretel said:

Kamuzz can’t  read that link without a subscription. 

Weird.  Google "dyson vacuum patent expired" and you can get to it just fine that way.

The title is  "Inventor James Dyson faces challenge to clean up EU vacuum tests"

I have the first one . 

Down sides , I’m on the second head , which was over $100 as last one stopped spinning . They get clogged with human hair , so having 3 long haired people in the house means I have to cut the hair from the head every time I use it .

The flat head gets fluff etc stuck to the brush’s so have to flip it and pull it off . 

It does clean well as it’s always full after I use it . 

I have a Hoover Ultra Power.  It's cordless and I can do the whole house on one charge (3 bed, 2 bath, 2 living areas), it picks up the stuff along the skirting board, has a small head with a light on it so gets under furniture, around chair legs etc.  I love it and do a quick run around most days to keep on top of the hair from a Cavalier and 3 Persian cats.  It all picks up the bits of grass that get carried in as well.  It was just under $300 from Godfreys.  Take some dog hair in with you to put on their carpets and give it a go!

Edited to include the link:  https://www.godfreys.com.au/hoover-ultra-power-stickvac?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBPw-dsRTW65YAAU-4305770t3JOK4Xningv1-Yx-F8lLzFlo0qNwT0aAtdMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My main vacuum is a tradies cannister type which means I can pick up pretty well everything!  lol  I've heard that the Dyson aren't good if you use carpet powder - something to do with the filters and being bagless.

Edited by jemappelle

There was another thread on this forum regarding something similar but I can't find it now. 

I own a dyson myself and swear its the best vacumn cleaner out there.  I've used to buy a hand held from the likes of target and they just lose suction after a few months.  My dyson i've had for many years now and no sunction lost.  I own a hand held, vacumn stick and also the full size vacuum cleaner - all dyson.

If you want to save a bit of money, look for an older model, they do the job.  I recently saw some very good deals on the dyson ebay site.  Given its EOFY, there is likely to be some good deals on the older models.

My dyson isn't "animal model' specific.

• 4 months later...

I've killed half a dozen vacuums with Labrador hair and puppy chewing fragments.  I've found two things that work.  First, get a shop vac.  They are designed to pick up heavy mess and don't clog up on pet hair. Alternatively, get one of those 'miracle brooms' and sweep the bulk of it before vacuuming. 

• Like 1