Night regression please help :(

tarabombara

Good afternoon,

I am wondering if you can please help me. We have a Liver Dalmatian named Wally he was born on the  10/02/2019 and we got him at 3 months old. Basically from day one he was toilet trained through the night, but for the last 3 night we have been getting up 2.5 to 3 hourly like clock work. He is inside with us when we are home, and we had started leaving him outside for short periods from the day we got him, till now, where we can leave him outside with his food, water toys and kennel for 3 hours while I am at work and my husdabd gets home 2-3 times a week ,as I don't work fulltime. 

The broken sleep is so hard, I don't know what we have done wrong. He goes outside after each nap, food, and when we play inside. He cries at the back door when we needs the bathroom and as he sleeps with us in our room in his bed, he will also get out of bed and cry at the door to go to the toilet. 

do you have any suggestions or any idea why we he is now going so much through the night when we never has done it before. 

The good thing is he lets you know … although that certainly makes for broken sleep.  My first thought when peeing habit changes and becomes more frequent, is possible urinary tract infection (UTI).   If he were my dog I would be arranging a vet check up for him, if only to rule that out.     If he's outside during the day, you probably won't know whether he's peeing more frequently during the day as well. 

If there is no medical reason, then I'd be doing things like withholding access to water too close to bedtime .. and no access to water during the night .. he doesn't need it.

• Like 3

A vet check  is my suggestion as well .
has anything at all changed? 
has he had any different treats ? ones that may have been saltier/dryer, so that he has been drinking more ? 
is he perhaps not sleeping as soundly because he is too warm or too cold? 
he is still very young to be fully reliable  100% of the time ... he was only born in February .. you must not have had him for long?  

Edited by persephone
  • Like 2

It might also be worthwhile measuring how much water he drinks in a 24 hour period, so your vet can confirm whether it is an appropriate amount for him. Measure it each day until you can see your vet. My dog has a medical condition that when untreated causes him to drink and pee more.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all your replies. He is inside with us at night and during the day, he wears a coat outside and on walks and he has a knitted jumper for the house. His diet is the same as the breeder, we didn't want to change it. I took him to the vet, no UTI just one of those things. But I will remove the water at night, even though he sleeps with us when we does go to the toilet he always gets a drink. He is 14 weeks old and we have had him for three nearly four weeks, I know his young but It has just come out of the blue and I was just wanting some advice from people. 

Often these things will happen  because they are  still a baby .

Make sure he's not too warm ! if he gets a drink every time he goes out at night to toilet, that is a bit unusual .... it may be because he's a bit too warm , or rarely , has an underlying health problem .
 did the vet test a urine sample? 

Dalmation's  get kidney stones? don't they?. I would imagine he is too young to already have developed them but are you feeding the correct diet? I'm not a dally breeder so can't recall the correct names. Might be worth asking the breeder. I'd put a heavier coat on him inside at night for starters. It's good he is asking to go out. You've done a great job so far by the sounds of things so if he wants to go out when you get up overnight he possibly is thinking this is the right thing to do!

• Like 1

At 14 weeks old I'd assume he is actually just not yet able to hold for as long as you want. I'd put him in a crate, restrict water of a night and take off his jumper, his bedding should be warm enough. A crate will help teach him how to hold his bladder but you will still need to take him out at least once in the middle of the night I imagine for a few more weeks at least. 

You've had him only a couple weeks, that's not long enough to say he's toilet trained in my experience. 

• Like 2

Wally is a LUA so he shouldn't ever get kidney stones, well that's what the breeder and the vet said. He is on Royal Canine Maxi puppy, morning, small bit in the afternoon and then his dinner. we sleep with the heater on as one of our sons has Asthma so we cant have him breathing in cold air. Wally doesn't sleep with a coat on at night, just if he is outside or the house feels cool. its so stressful lol I feel like a new mum again. Thank you again so much for your reply and all the advice. Vet said his fine, maybe he is just going through a stage, I just don't want it to become a habit :confused: lol

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Apart from a vet check. Have you changed his diet? If you're feeding him kibble at night you'll get more night-time drinking and more toilet breaks. 

No, nothing has changed. which was why I was little worried. During the day he doesn't wee or pooh anymore then normal, just the last 3 -4 days its every 2-3 hours at night. If I feed him earlier will that help? 

1 hour ago, persephone said:

but obviously not if it's warm indoors ?

well no, but it's an easy thing to try and rule out. Puppy is sleeping at floor level and hot air rises. I heat my house overnight and my greyhounds all wear coats even though they are sleeping inside. ETA the weather has changed dramatically in Victoria this week.

Edited by Rebanne
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, tarabombara said:

Wally doesn't sleep with a coat on at night, just if he is outside or the house feels cool.

I understood he wore this at night  

and he has a knitted jumper for the house

. in that case , he may need his jumper on ..he doesn't have much of his own coat to keep him warm , and unless he's covered at night, or on top of a heating vent , he may be a bit cool . Does he sleep curled up, or laid out flat ?  If he's curled up tight, he is cool . Lying flatter ...warm enough  ( rule of thumb) 
he IS still a baby :)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, persephone said:

I understood he wore this at night  

. in that case , he may need his jumper on ..he doesn't have much of his own coat to keep him warm , and unless he's covered at night, or on top of a heating vent , he may be a bit cool . Does he sleep curled up, or laid out flat ?  If he's curled up tight, he is cool . Lying flatter ...warm enough  ( rule of thumb) 
he IS still a baby :)

Oh sorry, no sorry the jumper is worn outside if its to cold, but if its really cold and he needs to go outside the jacket. Um that's a good questions, when I wake up he is curled up and then he laying on his back feet up lol

ill take more notice, thanks for that :)

If he's LUA I pretty much can guess who bred him lol - great to see more LUA pups out there. Congratulations!

At 14 weeks - pups are teething, growing, eating more, less, getting more confident or going through a fear period. All these things can disrupt the regular routine. Certainly my Dalmatian has always felt the cold terribly. He is now 12.5 years old, has got his best winter coat on (from the USA of course!) and is about 30cm from a roaring fire :laugh: 

Also my pups always sleep in a crate until they can relax for an entire night - way too many distractions for a pup lying on my bed or their own. And as soon as they wake up they need to toilet. So it may be that your pup is waking up and then needing to toilet rather than the other way around. Once they demonstrate they can be responsible pups they can sleep where they like. But try to play with the cats at 2am? Back to the crate for the night. They quickly get the message!

• Like 4