Why We should Let Dogs Sniff.

persephone

I enjoyed this article and videos .

https://www.silentconversations.com/importance-of-allowing-your-dog-to-sniff/

extract :  

The body language that occurs when a dog starts sniffing due to displacement can be subtle. It is crucial to observe changes in the environment, noting the dog’s whole body and body posture, as well as movement and body language signals. For instance, a dog may see something ahead, pause, and then subtly curve his body away from the object that is causing discomfort. He may then do some displacement sniffing. It is worth observing how he sniffs; some displacement sniffing may seem less focused than when a dog is actively investigating a scent. 

The links to articles on body language etc are worth saving , as they could prove very handy for someone  :)

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

One of the things that has always driven me insane is when, meeting up with someone else walking their dog, their dog starts sniffing mine and vice versa and the owner pulls their dog away chastising it.  I always say that they are just saying hello.   :mad  :mad  :mad   It makes me so sad for the other dog.  

9 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

One of the things that has always driven me insane is when, meeting up with someone else walking their dog, their dog starts sniffing mine and vice versa and the owner pulls their dog away chastising it.  I always say that they are just saying hello.   :mad  :mad  :mad   It makes me so sad for the other dog.  

Dogs can only say hello one way :)

My sister got a puppy not long ago.  Now when she sees other dogs at the park, she will tell her boy to smell the other's bum :rofl:.  When both dogs exchange each other's bum without fear, she knows they are good to go play together.