Antihistimine brands

teddybeans

Has anyone used Aerius for their dog's allergies?  I currently used claratyne as advised by my vet.  But recently he asked me to switch to Aerius which is a different kind of antihistamine (Desloratadine) saying it has better results.

Claratyne works for one of my boy but not the other.  I'm keen to try Aerius and was wondering whether anyone has used this.  Its more expensive than claratyne and I"m yet to find a generic brand.  I don't mind paying for it if its effective.

My boy has itchy skin

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Have you talked about Polaramine or Zyrtec with your vet? I have seen lots of dogs taking one or the other with few side effects... and they are cheaper than Claratyne and Aerius.

T.

My vet says out of all the antihistamine aerius seems to be the most effective.  I was just trying to see whether this is a reflection to what most people see on this forum as well.

15 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Have you talked about Polaramine or Zyrtec with your vet? I have seen lots of dogs taking one or the other with few side effects... and they are cheaper than Claratyne and Aerius.

T.

Our vet recommended Polaramine for our sheltie, Danny's, allergies.  He said the veterinary medicine version of Polaramine was the same, but cost more.  So he told me to get it from the chemist to save money.  He also said Polaramine has a side-effect in humans of making them drowsy... but this doesn't seem to happen with dogs.  This was some years back.  It went well for Danny.

• Like 1

I used to use Polaramine .. but only for emergencies like bee sting or jackjumpar ant bite.  I was setting up a travelling first aid kit for a trip nearly 10 years ago .. at that time, my vet recommended 10mg Phenergan for the Border Collies .. but again, I was asking about something for emergency use,  not regular.

• Like 1