how do dogs eat without teeth?

teddybeans

Sweet question, @teddybeans.  Many years ago, I rescued a little elderly dog from a pound who had terrible teeth.  His dental, during which all his remaining teeth had to be removed, was in the morning (the vet was very worried because he was a tiny dog with a fragile jaw) and that evening after I brought him home he was “gumming” chicken necks in my back yard with my other dogs.  

Dogs develop very hard mouths and can eat very hard things.  I have an elderly little homed-from-the-pound dog at the moment, a Pomeranian, who had all his teeth out last year.  He is on a diet and I feed him Satiety kibble because I can weigh it and know exactly how many calories he is eating.  I have to put the kibble in a slow feeder bowl to slow him down !!!

So, don’t worry.  Feed your dogs whatever he likes.   

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I have to put the kibble in a slow feeder bowl to slow him down !!!

So, don’t worry.  Feed your dogs whatever he likes.   

Sounds like my boy :D

Is it still a good idea to feed him bones.  I regularly give my boys pork knuckle bones (like the big bones from flintstones).  The fact he has less teeth now, would the bones do him more harm than good because it now how less strength to break it down.

Give him softer bones :)
Weight bearing bones aren't the best for dogs because of the potential to damage teeth /splintering etc . 
There are plenty of other bones which can be used .... necks/briskets/ribs/heads/turkey wings, etc. freeze them , and you're all set . 

• Like 2

My Greyhound Sam had no trouble eating with nil teeth. I did still give him raw chicken necks, which he usually swallowed whole while I hovered over him. It was for overall health that I still gave them to him, not for mouth health. He managed dry food fine.

• Like 2

Given most dogs don't chew there food but just suck it down toothless doggies cope well.
The reason to still give a soft bone is to still encourage jaw muscle strength ,think off it as face muscle exercises

• Like 4

You need vet advice re bones not internet advice. Depends on their teeth/jaw.

My dog has 14 teeth left inc only 1 canine. He eats just fine including crunchy food. Cannot have bones though as per his veterinary dentist’s instructions (and other reasons I won’t go into).

• Like 1

My boy got his molars taken out, I don’t think the remaining teeth are string enough for bones.  I don’t want to be giving them greenies or the likes to clean their teeth as I’ve heard horror stories.

i brush his teeth but I don’t think it’s as effective as bones.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, teddybeans said:

My boy got his molars taken out, I don’t think the remaining teeth are string enough for bones.  I don’t want to be giving them greenies or the likes to clean their teeth as I’ve heard horror stories.

i brush his teeth but I don’t think it’s as effective as bones.

Natural, dried kangaroo tendons soften nicely with chewing and are a lot of fun for the doggy. Almost turning into dental floss. Like with bones and a lot of other chewies, I do take the stumpy bit away at the end because I worry they could swallow it whole. 

For a bone day, they don't really need to crunch on the bone itself to get a lot out of it. For small dogs and puppies, score a lamb shank finely and they pick or suck the meat off as well as the tendon and gristle. (Remove bone when bare.)  It's more than teeth cleaning when you think about what else they get out of the process. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

score a lamb shank finely and they pick or suck the meat off as well as the tendon and gristle. (Remove bone when bare.)  It's more than teeth cleaning when you think about what else they get out of the process. 

yes!this cleans all those front teeth nicely , too . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had two Chinese Crested dogs that progressively lost their teeth, as it's linked to the hairless gene. They had no problems eating their dry food and chicken necks right up to the very end of old age.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/08/2019 at 4:56 PM, tomiandme said:

What you can do is add a little water on his hard dog food and let it absorb for 10 mins so your dog and eat them. You can also try giving him wet food. 

He is actually not having issues eating, even without soaking it so it softens.  I was just curious how they do it that’s all