Is your dog afraid of the cold?

teddybeans

Is your dog afraid of the cold?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is your dog afraid of the cold?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

My two schnauzer sleep apart during summer, never would I find them together.  During winter, even with sweaters and layers of blankets, I find them often snuggle together when they are sleeping.  Its actually quite funny.  My younger boy would rest his head on my elder's behind.  Better than a soft pillow! :laugh:

• Haha 1

Pickles is somewhat indifferent to the cold, but if it's particularly chilly, she'll either hog the heater or take herself off to her own nice warm beddie... and of course tries to push me off my electric blanket overnight... lol!

Harper has a toasty warm jacket that she will not let me take off pretty much ALL winter... *sigh*

I'm more of a sook when it comes to the cold weather than my dogs... lol!

T.

haha.

I don't think mine are afraid either.  But they don't like it.  They HATE putting on their sweaters.  I don't know why.  It makes them so warm, but they run away everytime they see me hold it.

• Haha 1

My shar pei horse coat girl didn't have any hair on her undercarriage or legs and very little on her back. Initially she didn't like to be hugged or be covered in blankets or a coat. Her first winter without her litter mates that all changed! We had a heated pet bed for her in her soft crate (blankets all over the crate) and she'd lie in a little ball shaking with cold still. It was awful! Over the next couple of winters we got her used to being covered in blankets and wearing custom made coats to provide maximum coverage. As soon as you pulled a coat out she'd run, then become a stiff statue while you put it on. Once it was on she'd stagger around like her limbs didn't work. Then she'd take herself to bed. Always the same crazy routine! Eventually she became a serious snuggler in the cold (never in the warmer months) and she'd become a hard unmovable lump in my bed to maintain her warm spot.

My other dog is a stafford. Even though her coat is good she likes a coat on too. And even in a coat in winter she crawls in under all the blankets with me; her nose totally submerged. I don't know how she breathes! When she gets too hot she crawls out. When she gets cold again she scratches her way back in!

I just pulled out a load of fleece fabric last night ready to make coats again this winter! I like my doggos to look cute as well as be toasty warm and comfortable!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

As soon as you pulled a coat out she'd run, then become a stiff statue while you put it on

Yes this!  

Don't know why they are so afraid of putting one on.  Once its on and they don't mind it 

10 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

haha.

I don't think mine are afraid either.  But they don't like it.  They HATE putting on their sweaters.  I don't know why.  It makes them so warm, but they run away everytime they see me hold it.

My Molly sounds exactly the same. She’s a mini schnauzer too. She gets suspicious every time I open the cupboard where her coats are kept and then she puts herself in reverse and usually grumbles at the same time. I can’t say she doesn’t like the cold but she certainly seeks out sunny spots to lay in and usually snuggles up close with us on the lounge and creeps under the blankets in bed at night. Oh, and she loves the hairdryer on heat too. She will come into the bathroom and stand there expecting me to use it all over her body. She appears to love it. :laugh:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kazm said:

Oh, and she loves the hairdryer on heat too

mine loves the hairdryer too.  But hates being blown anywhere above the neck.  So usually after a bath, I have two schnauzers that are completely dry from neck down and wet from neck up:banghead:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

@Kazm your babies in your avatar are gorgeous by the way!  From one schnauzer mum to another :laugh:

Thankyou @teddybeans your 2 boys look beautiful too. What are their names ? 

Molly is the darker one on the left ( as you look at them ) and Zena, on the right is Molly’s mum. She passed away just over 2 and a half years ago. We miss her terribly still but forever grateful we have Molly. She is such a sweetheart and helped me through that very difficult time. She is extremely smart and very switched onto my feelings. 

Gotta love schnauzers. 

Minis in this household,always sleep together all year around touching.
Have no issues wearing coats if required in extreme cases,like there coats but most people buy horrible coats that are uncomfortable especially those horrid knitted things or the ones with front leg holders that alter there movement .
Ours like the heater on but will happily be outside in the cold

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Minis in this household,always sleep together all year around touching.
Have no issues wearing coats if required in extreme cases,like there coats but most people buy horrible coats that are uncomfortable especially those horrid knitted things or the ones with front leg holders that alter there movement .
Ours like the heater on but will happily be outside in the cold

I never understand dog coats that don't cover the rump area, especially those ones for little dogs that look like cheap puffy jackets (example attached!). I mean if us humans are cold we don't wear a turtleneck and no pants! If you are going to put your dog in a coat make sure it is comfortable, has good cover and actually keeps them warm.

58845a408b0049e14dda9bebe51081b4.jpg

• Like 1

My aunt lives in Chicago where it snows every year.  She has to put boots on her boy before walking him because of the salt they put on the ground for the ice.  He doesn’t seem to be bothered and constantly gets praises from walkers commenting on the nice boots :rofl:

• Like 1