I’ve lost 2 dogs to cancer...undecided about another

Bluefairy56

Hi,

Many years ago we got a beautiful Aussie Bulldog, her name was Jessie, she was a wonderful companion. She got sick when she was 10yrs old and after tests and eventually exploratory surgery, they found she had stomach cancer, we had her put to sleep while she was still under. We didn’t want her to suffer anymore 

Then several years later we decided to get another Aussie Bulldog, her name was Annie. Again a fantastic temperament, but she got cancer and she was so sick we had her put to sleep. It’s now been about 6+ years, we have moved towns, the kids are grown up and most have left...

So I have been wondering whether to chance it again. I’m terrified it will happen again, and I’m not sure I could handle that grief again.

Has anyone else been in our situation and what did you do?

My adult daughter, who lives with us,  has 2 cats, we have always had pets. But I see dogs and they are my one love.

Lynn

• Sad 3

The only bad part of loving a dog is that goodbye. I guess you have to ask yourself if the years of joy with your dogs is worth the pain when you lose them. For me it is, I accept that the chances are I will outlive them. If it is not cancer it will be something else. I will be grateful for ten good years and hopefully many more, but the day will come.  I have had to say goodbye over a dozen times and they all hurt. It hasn’t stopped me having dogs though. 

• Like 9

Thank you. I accepted old age to take my pets, it’s part of life. Annie never reached her 1st birthday. I guess I’m more worried about another dog with cancer. I chose a different breeder in a different state for Annie, but it didn’t make any difference. I then wondered about the area we had both dogs. I don’t know. We have moved towns, so if it was that...then I just wonder if I had bad luck with dogs :( 

That is so young for Annie that I would wonder about cause too in her case. But for Jessie I think getting to 10 years probably means it was just one of those things. Cancer is so common in them and us in older age. I don’t know if that breed is especially prone to it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Diva said:

The only bad part of loving a dog is that goodbye

I agree, it’s something that you don’t completely get over but must expect it being a pet owner.  That and also when they are sick and you are helpless.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bluefairy56 said:

..then I just wonder if I had bad luck with dogs :( 

It happens sadly.  I’d waited years before I was in a position to have dogs.  The day finally came when my puppies were coming home.  I picked up the little girl from her breeder took her straight to my vet .........   diagnosed with heart disease which took her at 3 and a half.   I used to say that my car could make its own way to the vet.   

The boy came to me on the same day from another breeder and he died at 8 and a half from cancer.   

You have had a gut wrenching experience, Bluefairy, but no matter how long your dogs live for, you will experience the loss.  Such an individual thing, really, balancing the love with the loss.   

• Like 3

I too have lost 2 dogs to cancer. My boy was 10 and my sweet girl just a month passed her 9th birthday. Absolutely heart wrenching but if you read statistics on dogs sadly it is very common. I have another little girl at present, the daughter of the one that passed, and this little girl is the light of my life now. She is 8 and it is always in the not so back of my mind that she too will go the same way. After my boy passed I changed the way I bought my little girls up and then sadly cancer struck again. Long talks with my vet kind of consoled me as to the fact it wasn’t my fault. Could be anything that causes it. Just like in humans. Environmental, diet or even something in their own DNA. I’m scared, I will admit, for my Molly. I don’t want to go down that path again but ultimately I know something will take her and that’s just life. And yes it will always be difficult to own others but I just couldn’t imagine life without a four legged furry friend beside me. 

• Like 4

Thank you everyone, it makes me feel a little better knowing I’m not alone.

im thinking it might have been environmental as well. We lost our cat, who was around Annie’s time, Shadow died from Panlukepena (?) that she picked up from a rescue kitten we had, he was a carrier. So we haven’t had the best of luck with pets. 

The two cats we have now, are a Russian Blue, Mishka is 4. Castiel is a rescue and he is 1. They are both in the best of health and have never been sick. So maybe the move has helped. I’m still on the wall about getting a dog, but you’ve all given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

• Like 1

it is the luck of the draw, one year or twenty.

yes some do make it to such incredible ages, although both were chihuhua's, one even celebrated her 21St.

my grandmothers boy was 18, but he was a kelpie, another breed known for longlivativy, well long as they dont play chicken with cars.

Best of luck if you do decide to take the plunge again, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluefairy56 said:

The two cats we have now, are a Russian Blue, Mishka is 4. Castiel is a rescue and he is 1. They are both in the best of health and have never been sick. So maybe the move has helped. I’m still on the wall about getting a dog, but you’ve all given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

We have always had cats as well as dogs. Our cats have always been very healthy. We had 2 that were sisters and they lived to 17 and 18 and only visited the vets to be desexed. Our current cat Lucy is 10 this year and she has never had a sick day either. Go figure. I reckon it’s the very pampered, lazy life that cats lead. :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had two mutts, lived till around 14.  Fed them supermarket dog food and table scraps, this was when we knew no better!  Survived to 14 without any issues.  

Now with my two boys, they are on super premium dog food, no table scraps, they are now 9 but has had surgeries to remove lumps and bumps and has had dental issues.  

So I think it’s hard to know what to expect and because there is emotionally attachment, it hurts when it’s time to let go.

• Like 2

I am sorry for your loss. It hurts and the hurt never really goes away but the joy of pawrenting one of those dogs is beyond description for me.

I have no experience with Aussie Bulldogs. I proudly pawrented 3 of Australasian Bosdog beauties. 

They are all in dog-heaven now - one died at 8.5, one at 11, and the last at 6.5yo. The first 2 were skeletal issues, the third was heart condition. No cancer for us.    

This is a pure breed forum and Australasian Bosdogs are still pending ANKC registration. Please send me a message if you wish to discuss this further,

• Like 2

Red and HowlingLike Page

It's World Pet Memorial Day! A big hug and much love to all of you who have had to say goodbye to your beloved non-human family members (I often say "fur kids", but many of you have horses, birds, pigs, goats, spiders, reptiles, furless dogs and cats and I want to be all inclusive!).

And remember when you lose a pet, take care of yourself, too. Surround yourself with those who truly understand what you are going through. You've lost a child, a member of your family and it takes lots of time to heal. Grief isn't a straight road with predictable patterns and a finite timeline. We all grieve differently and we all need different things. I recenlty opened a little box that contains a lock of my beloved Pepito's fur and I burst into tears. He's been gone 14 years.

I don't think we fully recover from these tragic losses, we simply find a place to put them, so we can go on. It helps me to talk to my babies who have past and on a day like today, I like to light a candle in their memory. I'm surrounded by their happy photos, so they are always with me.

Please share your photos, stories, and what you do to honor the memory of your babies. Also, I'd love to know some of the things that have helped you cope with your loss. xoAmy

—beautiful music by my hubby.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, Bluefairy56 said:

Hi,

Many years ago we got a beautiful Aussie Bulldog, her name was Jessie, she was a wonderful companion. She got sick when she was 10yrs old and after tests and eventually exploratory surgery, they found she had stomach cancer, we had her put to sleep while she was still under. We didn’t want her to suffer anymore 

Then several years later we decided to get another Aussie Bulldog, her name was Annie. Again a fantastic temperament, but she got cancer and she was so sick we had her put to sleep. It’s now been about 6+ years, we have moved towns, the kids are grown up and most have left...

So I have been wondering whether to chance it again. I’m terrified it will happen again, and I’m not sure I could handle that grief again.

Has anyone else been in our situation and what did you do?

My adult daughter, who lives with us,  has 2 cats, we have always had pets. But I see dogs and they are my one love.

Lynn

Simply, for me, I would be terrified not have the connection or love of a dog again, and be able to bless a dog with a loving home. 

Your journey has been heartbreaking but you are deserving of the joy of a canine companion :heart:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kazm said:

@asal That was absolutely brilliant. Even though I sat watching it through tears. A great tribute to all passed animals, great and small. 

yes, we have all been there, just seems so personal you forget it is the same for everyone at the time

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

When you have animals you have to accept that at times 'shit happens'.... but this is much the same as life in general.... having children is a risk, getting married is a risk, buying a house is a risk.... But also different life experiences are what makes us grow... I am sure you have wonderful memories of your 10 yo dog and perhaps only having one year with your next dog has made you nervous... but the reality is that your first dog lived till 10yo which for many of the bulldog is not considered unusual. 

Now we are learning from science that more and more there are things we need to consider...
1.  how nutrition can affect a dog from prior to birth... what the mother is fed may impact the pups, immune system is developed in the womb...
2.  processed food seems to have an impact on cancers - even the 'premium' brands are linked to some major problems....
3.  juvenile desexing can affect dogs with regard to bone growth and further problems....

Perhaps the fact you are even coming on here and asking the question... means you are ready for another dog.

• Like 5