Puppy with flatulance

1 hour ago, sheltiesrule said:

Teddy beans, do you know if the MFM Puppy Turkey Salmon Sardine is free of chicken fat/meal?  Can only seem to find info that says the adult salmon sardine is made with fish meal.

I don’t think it contains chicken according to their website but it has turkey.

https://www.mealsformutts.com.au/product/puppy-turkey-salmon-sardine/

While turkey and chicken are birds, I think I read somewhere that turkey doesn’t have the same allergy rates as chicken.  But this formula has two proteins, turkey and fish.  So if it was food allergies, it will be hard to identify which is causing the allergies.

Having said that, I not sure whether puppy food has only single protein.  When I switch my boy to fish, I went straight to the adult formula because I think he was almost out of the puppy stage and it was hard locating puppy food with just fish protein at that time.  Your puppy is 14 weeks so for you I think you should stay on puppy food.

My sister is feeding this turkey and fish formula to her almost two year old.  He seems to do well on it.  My sister says she wants to keep her adolescent boy on puppy food because it has more protein than the adult range and the protein is where all the nutrients are.  the fat content between the two is minimal so she doesn’t care about that.    I don’t know whether she just made up that theory or whether it’s scientifically known. Haha

You mentioned you were going to see your vet, did they suggest anything?  

Edited by teddybeans

how is the coat of your baby?  Does he have dandruff?  Given that it’s winter, the air can be rather dry and skin can be dry causing itchiness.

also most pet food companies allow you to return the food if it doesn’t suit your pet.  There may be terms and conditions but if you are sure ivory coat isnt working, perhaps you can enquire.

Teddybeans, her coat is fine and her skin is a nice healthy pink.  It’’s just the scratching at her ears and nibbling her back and legs.  I am seeing the vet on Friday and will ask her to check her over.  I am just trying to pre empt any allergies before they become chronic as my poor previous Sheltie boy was.  Interestingly, the flatulence is back tonight....she went to puppy care this morning and maybe they gave her the 4 legs meatballs they use for treats, she also does puppy school there and they give us those meatballs to use.

On 19/06/2019 at 10:37 PM, sheltiesrule said:

Teddybeans, her coat is fine and her skin is a nice healthy pink.  It’’s just the scratching at her ears and nibbling her back and legs.  I am seeing the vet on Friday and will ask her to check her over.  I am just trying to pre empt any allergies before they become chronic as my poor previous Sheltie boy was.  Interestingly, the flatulence is back tonight....she went to puppy care this morning and maybe they gave her the 4 legs meatballs they use for treats, she also does puppy school there and they give us those meatballs to use.

Yeah allergies a pain!  I hope she gets better soon, let us know how it goes.

do try some yogurt if you haven’t tried it. Get the natural flavoured ones.  I use these ones, I eat it myself and give a dollop to my boys.  Start on a bit just in case she gets the runs from new food.  It should help with tummy problems.

http://www.vaalia.com.au/products/vaalia-natural-yoghurt/

Hi everyone

Had vet appointment this afternoon.  She said she couldn’t see any sign of allergy, but if I’m concerned by the itching to wean her onto a fish based kibble.  I have decided to try ivory coat ocean fish as she doesn’t have the flatulence on this brand.  She also suggested using prime 100 in a kangaroo or salmon for training treat as they are a one protein  dog roll and this would also give her a change from kibble all the time.

Edited by sheltiesrule
Spell
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, sheltiesrule said:

Hi everyone

Had vet appointment this afternoon.  She said she couldn’t see any sign of allergy, but if I’m concerned by the itching to wean her onto a fish based kibble.  I have decided to try ivory coat ocean fish as she doesn’t have the flatulence on this brand.  She also suggested using prime 100 in a kangaroo or salmon for training treat as they are a one protein  dog roll and this would also give her a change from kibble all the time.

Fantastic, keep us posted whether there are any improvements.