Looking to buy new puppy from breeder

flyers123

Hi All, I am newbie here. I am looking to buy new puppy shortly. Hence I began my search online. Too many websites talk about a lot of stuff about puppies. Ggrrr very confusing.. I have been researching these websites in particular "Koaas, Gumtree, Trading post". 

What are the things I should be asking and checking with breeders?

• Like 1

Have you checked out the puppies for sale on this site?  Not saying you wont get a good pup from Gumtree etc, you could get lucky, but if you are after a pure bred pup, then DogzOnline would be the first place to look

• Like 1

You should decide on the breed first and ask yourself does the temperament suit your lifestyle.  For example, some dogs require a lot of exercise and if you are not a person that is active, then it’s not a good fit.  If you have people in the family that has allergies then you probably want a dog that doesn’t shed etc.

Personally, I would get a dog from a reputable breeder - I think there are registered breeders somewhere in this site but I can’t tell you where so perhaps someone else can help.  The likes of gumtree  and petstores, breeders may not be breeding ethically so I would stay away from those.  A good Breeder will ask you the same questions and pick a pup that suits you, some won’t even let you chose, the breeders are close to the temperament of the litter so they are probably best to tell which one suits you.  You also have a say on whether you want a boy or girl, temperament can be different.

Its a long time commitment (and also an important one) so don’t take this process lightly, do your homework so there are no surprises later on.  Don’t rush into it.

this forum is great for finding out what the breeds are like and you have many pet lovers here that can answer your questions.

good luck

Edited by teddybeans

Here is the breed forum which may help you

https://www.dolforums.com.au/forum/51-breed-sub-forums/

If you don’t know what breed you are after, maybe  if you indicate what temperament of puppy you are looking for, people here can give you suggestions.  This can help you narrow down the perfect breed for you and you can do your research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

Personally, I would get a dog from a reputable breeder - I think there are registered breeders somewhere in this site but I can’t tell you where so perhaps someone else can help.  The likes of gumtree  and petstores, breeders may not be breeding ethically so I would stay away from those.  A good Breeder will ask you the same questions and pick a pup that suits you, some won’t even let you chose, the breeders are close to the temperament of the litter so they are probably best to tell which one suits you.  You also have a say on whether you want a boy or girl, temperament can be different.

Ethical breeders do indeed advertise on Gumtree etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flyers123 said:

Hi All, I am newbie here. I am looking to buy new puppy shortly. Hence I began my search online. Too many websites talk about a lot of stuff about puppies. Ggrrr very confusing.. I have been researching these websites in particular "Koaas, Gumtree, Trading post". 

What are the things I should be asking and checking with breeders?

Once you know what breed/s you may be interested in then DOL can help you. Health checks on parents are good to start with, if the breed has a website they will often have what health checks should be done. You would want to know how the pups are raised, inside or out, exposed to kids, other animals, diet etc

On 12/06/2019 at 5:54 PM, Powerlegs said:

Here's the Dogz list of ANKC registered breeders

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/dog-breeders.asp

What were you looking for in a pup/dog? Have you decided on a breed?

Hi I was looking for German Shepherd Puppies and found on koaas, the ad suggested "puppies have been bred on our working farm in the countryside" and there is a little pup in the picture next to big German Shepherd. Yet I have seen other dogs online and on dogzonline as well. But can't seem to get rid of that picture from my mind. May be its a small breeder selling on small website. Grrrrrrrrrr......

7 hours ago, flyers123 said:

Hi I was looking for German Shepherd Puppies and found on koaas, the ad suggested "puppies have been bred on our working farm in the countryside" and there is a little pup in the picture next to big German Shepherd. Yet I have seen other dogs online and on dogzonline as well. But can't seem to get rid of that picture from my mind. May be its a small breeder selling on small website. Grrrrrrrrrr......

Are you interested in that GSD pup that is advertised or just GSD pups in general?

The reason I am asking as the seller has this ad (the one you liked) https://koaas.com/for-sale/animals/quality-german-shepherd-puppies_i2768

and this one (cheap pups aye) https://mybumblebee.com.au/animals/blue-french-bulldogs-ready-to-go-now/

and this one https://mybumblebee.com.au/animals/pure-breed-welsh-corgi-pembroke-puppies-for-sale/

O wait...and there's more; teacup poms this time https://www.sellbourne.com/index.php?page=user&action=pub_profile&id=625

They seem to travel a lot as their location is different in each ad

Don't be that sucker born every minute

RUN AWAY! :bolt:

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

GSDs are complicated.  Show/conformation judging criteria have promoted a sloped, sometimes arched back look that a lot of people (me included) think is unhealthy.  The breed has a history of a lot of bad hips, and some people looking for guard dogs prefer aggressive types. 

If I were looking for a GSD, I would be looking for dogs that are health tested, but not show dogs.  Ask breeders about what they are aiming for in temperament.  When you find a breeder you like, describe the temperament you are looking for and let them select the pup. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, flyers123 said:

Oh wow, I just followed Boronia's link. Your seller has scammer written all over :( 
I totally understand what it's like to fall in love with a photo but this is not a legit seller. 

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/dont-fall-for-a-scammers-puppy-dog-eyes

• Like 2

On 14/06/2019 at 9:31 AM, Powerlegs said:

Oh wow, I just followed Boronia's link. Your seller has scammer written all over :( 
I totally understand what it's like to fall in love with a photo but this is not a legit seller. 

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/dont-fall-for-a-scammers-puppy-dog-eyes

Hi Thank you very much for opening my eyes, I was pretty much falling for what is displayed in the picture. 

Thank you to everyone really that has helped me with realisation what to look out for whilst buying a puppy.

I would say running away might not be the best solution. what I would like to do is bring a change to someone else's life like me.

So why not set up a list of questions that a newbie like me in future can ask the breeder and questions from breeder that a person should expect.

I think this could be a game changer for anyone reading this forum and looking for answers in one place. The more questions we can cover the better it is i guess for everyone who's looking to buy a new puppy.

Questions To Ask A Breeder (By The Purchaser)

Questions To Expect From A Breeder To Purchaser

Recommended Breeders (Website Links - Let focus on quality here and not on the bad breeders)

Questions to ask the breeder?  Depending on the breed of course, what health & genetic tests have been done on the parents? Is pup going to be on Limited or Mains Register (if neither, run a mile)? What is their policy on taking the pup back if things/circumstances change?  Most good breeders will insist that the puppy/dog be returned to them in this case. 

Questions from Breeder?  Have you owned this breed before? Do you have a fenced yard? How high are the fences? Are you prepared to desex your dog if on Limited Register.  How much time will you put into training/hanging out with the dog? Will the dog be alone all day?

Heaps more...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, flyers123 said:

I would say running away might not be the best solution.

The RUN AWAY  is standard advice we give when scams like that are noticed   !! Run, don't walk  :)

I was pretty much falling for what is displayed in the picture. 

:) easy to do, and what scammers & others rely on!! As humans , we are programmed to react that way !! 
I'm sure I'm not alone on here in being caught at some stage ...thankfully, mine was when I was a teenager ..nearly a half century ago . I was able to both keep my puppy, and have the seller pay for vet costs etc ..now I'm a sceptical old lady !

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1