That 'Guilty' Look That Your Dog Is Giving You Isn't Actually Guilt

asal

I just looked at the pictures.  The first few lines made it clear that this isn't research based (though the 2009 book it refers to probably is). 

I sure don't think the dogs in the photos look guilty.  Anticipatory, maybe.  

Edited by sandgrubber

5 hours ago, Snook said:

There are varying levels of fear and varying markers of stress. When my dog is very mildly fearful or stressed, his ears, eyes and tight mouth or looking away will indicate it and he may lower his tail but not tuck it between his legs. As his fear or stress gets a bit higher he tucks his tail. Then he escalates to lowering his body or cowering, then lying down and exposing his belly. Sometimes it's a gradual progression, sometimes it's not. I imagine different dogs will react to different situations with different levels of fear or stress and it won't always result in a tucked tail. 

Very interesting.

I don't know whether this case classifies, but when my older boy wants to get my attention, and does things on purpose, I'm sure he is not guilty or fearful of it :rofl:

For example, he would grab my sock from my laundry pile, make sure i was looking and make a slow run for it when he knows he has my attention.  I know this for a fact because if I deliberately ignore him (as though i didn't notice), he would drop the sock and think of something else.  Boys would be boys!

Nah, not the same thing, but I watched my sisters Dingo X GSD do the same.

Sister on the phone, Dog stands over the rubbish bin and waits till she looks before grabbing a mouth full and bolting.:laugh:

Sis tried to cure counter surfing with chilli in meat. Dog takes one and gives sister a 'look' then deliberately takes the rest.

A hand full that girl, with brains I loved!

Edited by moosmum
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

Very interesting.

I don't know whether this case classifies, but when my older boy wants to get my attention, and does things on purpose, I'm sure he is not guilty or fearful of it :rofl:

For example, he would grab my sock from my laundry pile, make sure i was looking and make a slow run for it when he knows he has my attention.  I know this for a fact because if I deliberately ignore him (as though i didn't notice), he would drop the sock and think of something else.  Boys would be boys!

Schnauzers, I'm convinced hae a sense of humour.

1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

Very interesting.

Schnauzers, I'm convinced have a sense of humour.

3 hours ago, twodoggies2001 said:

Mine do, don't yours:laugh:

Schnauzers definitely have a sense of humour and yes, talk . I can have quite a “conversation” with Molly. I might be silly but I can mostly “understand”  her. A girl of many voices she is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kazm said:

Schnauzers definitely have a sense of humour and yes, talk . I can have quite a “conversation” with Molly. I might be silly but I can mostly “understand”  her. A girl of many voices she is.

When i talk to mine, he just licks me to death.  He knows I hate it.  Probably his way of telling me to shut up.:laugh:

• Like 1