Diabetic Dog Food Suggestions

Hello, my Staffie mixed breed of healthy weight and lifestyle was unfortunately diagnosed this week with Diabetes. We started Caninsulin today and are recording his bloods with a Glucose meter every 2hrs as per vets instructions, but the next step is selecting a suitable food for him to start his treatment routine. He has been on Meals for Mutts Grain Free Salmon and Sardine, but we will need a lower fat and higher fibre food from now on. I have found a lot of resources and recommendations online for American brand diabetic food, but i was after some suggestions of quality Australian food from people who have been/are in my position. Thank you

I have a pancreatitis dog and the Prime 100 Roo has been a lifesaver. I switched from home made to their roll and find he digests it much easier and hold his condition better.
http://prime100.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Prime100-SPD-SK-D-200-Product-Table.pdf  On the table it says you can feed diabetic dogs the same. 

Pet Barn and Pet O sell it. 

• Like 1

We use kangaroo mince (human grade) mixed with Vets all Natural Mix. It’s a mix of rolled oats and other stuff that you soak and add to the meat in a specific ratio to mimic their diet in the wild.. Kangaroo because  Max got pancreatitis while we were trying out other  commercial diets that were supposedly good for diabetic dogs and hence everything else has too much fat or is so tasteless that he would not eat it - which is dangerous for a diabetic dog. You could use whatever meat you think appropriate.

16 hours ago, Triggers Dad said:

I'm still unsure about whether to buy a complete diet kibble, if so what one?

Or a fresh & kibble combination? I'm coming across so many mixed opinions online

go with what the vet suggested to start with, keep doing your research and when you have a better idea of things you will be able to make changes if you wish. I'm insulin dependant and would struggle if one of my dogs became diabetic.

• Like 1