Tess32

Rain Anxiety

26 posts in this topic

Snook   
12 minutes ago, Tess32 said:

Did you ask the vet each time?  She's on half a tablet with no more than 4 full tablets allowed in a 24 hour period, so I could give one full tablet without a problem?

Yes, it was always done under the guidance of a vet behaviourist. You can certainly give a full tablet without an issue, I was just talking about tweaking the dosage. As an example, when we trialled diazepam as a short acting medication to help with situations when I was doing behaviour modification work in the presence of other dogs (dogs being a massive trigger since being attacked and causing him to panic and shut down), we started at one full tablet, then added another half a tablet, then took it to two full tablets as 1 1/2 still saw him struggling at times, but it resulted in him starting to have trouble responding to some commands, so we dropped by a quarter of a tablet to 1 3/4. Another medication we tried for storms and fireworks, he was allowed to have between 1 and 8 tablets for his body weight, so we trialled different doses at a full tablet each time. I ended up not continuing that one as I wasn't comfortable with it also being blood pressure medication and he needed a high dose for it work effectively. 

Tess32   

She's doing much better.  Dose 1 and 2 of the Xanax didn't do much at all, but now it does actually seem to be working, and it rained for hours this evening and she only barked twice.  

• Like 5

Snook   
1 hour ago, Tess32 said:

She's doing much better.  Dose 1 and 2 of the Xanax didn't do much at all, but now it does actually seem to be working, and it rained for hours this evening and she only barked twice.  

That's really great to hear. It must be much less stressful for the both of you. :)

It's sad that he's barking because of the rain. I think it's because of past experience. My poodle doesn't bark when it rains but he hides under our sofa and I don't want him to be scared of the rain so what I did was dressed him with a raincoat and we went for a walk. We did this for 2 months and now he loves swimming while it's raining (just not when there's thunder). 

IMG_20180614_154744_906 (1).jpg

• Like 1