Annual blood works

teddybeans

I’m just wondering how many of you get blood test done annually for your dog?  Mine are approaching 10 and my vet recommends to get a blood panel done annually.  Is this necessary without any symptoms of anything?

We don’t.

We would only do for dogs on long term meds that it makes sense too or certain health reasons .

One of our clients vets was a believer in this .Every year she would tell us what the results where and she would get so stressed over it .

Her vet she thought was god we thought he was total doom and gloom and made there time owning dogs expensive and full of panic 

I'll get a full panel done if my dog is having pre-surgery bloods ..just as a baseline for future reference.   Some dogs can have slightly weird values but be in perfect health - that's worth knowing. (A BCxKelpie of mine had full bloods done one time and the vet was struck by the fact that the dog in front of him was bright and healthy and non vomiting .. when some of her values suggested pancreatitis.   This dog was hypothyroid, and needed to be operating at the high end of normal thyroid values.)   Not something I'd do annually though.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2019 at 8:41 PM, teddybeans said:

My vets position is that if there was a blood test done, we can proactively treat the problem if there was one.

And that's my position too for older dogs - from roughly 10-12 years I start doing annual panels.  In general terms, IMO, it saves money in the long run if you pick up anything early.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, westiemum said:

And that's my position too for older dogs - from roughly 10-12 years I start doing annual panels.  In general terms, IMO, it saves money in the long run if you pick up anything early.  

Is twice a year an overkill?  Is there insurance coverage on this?

Yes my dog is on long term meds so has had yearly blood tests since 5 years of age. It means can monitor any changes and be pro-active about them. At the moment we are keeping a close eye on his cholesterol which has gradually been increasing. Dogs can't tell you if they have kidney or liver pain and so blood work will help detect any changes in their function early.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Has anyone who does annual blood work (apart from the folks who need to do it to monitor some drug or condition) found it was useful for finding a problem early? 

Might be not what you mean but yes, we do all the incoming over 10yrs, obviously some are quite senior too or in a really bad way and most are with no history so we need to build some kind of health record and baselines. Yes we've found things like kidney or liver issues primarily. Adopters need to know, as well as us.

In some cases it means either retirement into permanent care, or relieving their suffering if they will never recover. :rainbowbridge:

edited to add, After I rambled on, yes our 10+yr retired dogs get their bloods and a full health check at least annually. Yes, I've found it useful. :) 

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  For rescues, where no baseline is available, thorough screening is appropriate.  It would require a lot of study to say WHAT screening for what age/breed, etc.  For  young dogs in some breeds, I'd think hip Xrays would be more useful than blood work.

I guess it makes sense to do oldies, too, although I'm 70 (borderline cholesterol, otherwise OK) and they don't recommend doing my blood work but every couple of years.Furthermore, as I get older they drop tests from the recommended panel... no more colonoscopies :clap:or boob xrays :).  

Bottom line : better guidelines are needed.  I think pressure to do (and bill for) unnecessary/unjustified tests results in resentment of vets.  Vets get caught in the bind.  Veterinary suicide rates are high... this very unclear question does not help. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

Veterinary suicide rates are high... 

Really why? I would have thought it was a good job.  Yes maybe long hours but most jobs nowadays are too!  

At least this one you get to go see animals everyday and get to help them!  You must have a passion for animals getting into this field in the first place. 

Edited by teddybeans

1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

Really why? I would have thought it was a good job.  

Putting animals down, a lot. Dealing with their pain and stress daily.  Dealing with human grief. Dealing with owners who don’t do the right thing by their animals. 

Dealing with owners who blame the vet for the animal’s illness or death. And the many who think vet care is too expensive and it is the vet’s fault. Who forget vet care isn’t government subsidised like human care. 

Being pressured to treat animals for free or cheap or else you ‘don’t love animals and are in it just for money’. Dealing with the cost pressures of a modern practice or the relatively low wages and high student debt. Life and death responsibility without much in the way of support systems or thanks. 

People put a lot of pressure on vets. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, teddybeans said:

At least this one you get to go see animals everyday and get to help them!

Don't forget animals bring owners .
owners who are absolutely distraught .
owners who are about to be told their animal has x number of weeks to live 

owners who need a stern lecture on animal care 

owners who are often guilty of 'spoiling' their animal and helping it to an unhealthy state .

Then there are the owners who are elderly , and alone, and who bring their only companion to 'the doctor' , who can not cure it . They leave with an empty cage/leash ..and go back to an empty little flat ...this is after it's been ascertained they are OK to leave on their own .
The emergencies after incidents involving cars or other things ...trying to piece animals back together 
The emergency caesarians ..having puppies and/or mothers not make it . 

great job. 

• Thanks 1