Annual blood works

teddybeans

4 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Really why? I would have thought it was a good job.  Yes maybe long hours but most jobs nowadays are too!  

At least this one you get to go see animals everyday and get to help them!  You must have a passion for animals getting into this field in the first place. 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10708686

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Diva said:

Who forget vet care isn’t government subsidised like human care. 

I guess this is a fair point

In my head I have always thought if I had to do it again, what would I be, and a vet is always at the top of my list.

i always thought being able to help an animal who would otherwise not have stood a chance would be most satisfying.  Of course you also get the bad stuff that comes with it, but between being a doctor and being a vet, a vet was always high up on my list while being a doctor was never a consideration.  So was surprised of the high suicide rate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Really why? I would have thought it was a good job.  Yes maybe long hours but most jobs nowadays are too!  

At least this one you get to go see animals everyday and get to help them!  You must have a passion for animals getting into this field in the first place. 

Just FYI .. there was a very distressing and heated discussion on this several months ago.  I think it was removed, so searching here won't help I think.   But I do suggest you google the subject.   I'll put some links if I can find them quickly.  

But to get you thinking … pay rates are quite low, given the high ATAR scores needed to get into vet school and the years of training; 

vets who are practice owners have the stress and expense of maintain their buildings, keeping more and more expensive equipment up to date;

vets and their staff have to deal with not only traumatised animals but also traumatised owners every day .. some are hard because the vet has known the animal since it was tiny, and the humans probably longer than that .. and has to deliver bad news and guide owners through appropriate treatment (or not) scenarios;  others are even harder because the vet is confronted by owners who are angry or apparently uncaring .. not willing to pay for appropriate treatment;

…..

and so on.

Even on a good day it's a tough gig … which is one of the reasons why well puppy visits are welcome if the office is not too busy, or weigh ins by regular client dogs who are then available for destressing cuddles .

ETA link   ABC report from January 2019

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 2