Advice Needed - 1yr old Jack Russell

FleetWood

I have a 1 year old female Jack Russell and she's been perfect. Really fast learner and very sooky/affectionate when she wants a cuddle. The problem is, over the last few days she's become scared/nervous/terrified when I breath out of my nose (really weird).

Last weekend she destroyed one of her toys that had a squeaker in it and I was mucking around with her blowing the squeaker. I saw she didn't like it so I stopped. That afternoon/night she wouldn't come near me. Had her ears back, not making eye contact, nervous wagging of tale, cowering away...

The next day she was fine until that night when the same thing happened. I couldn't work out what was causing it until I blew my nose (I have a cold) and she ran away from me terrified...

Are there any tips to help her get over this? Anyone seen something similar with their dog? It's like when dogs are scared of fireworks only it's me breathing through my nose...

The only other thing I've done recently is dose her with Comfortis and also wormed her.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

4 hours ago, FleetWood said:

Are there any tips to help her get over this? Anyone seen something similar with their dog? It's like when dogs are scared of fireworks only it's me breathing through my nose...

I have this problem too with my boy too (not breathing through my nose), but just all of a sudden he seems nervous and fearful - at that time even a cuddle he doesn't like..  I never found out what it was, it just comes and goes out of the blue and is once in a blue moon situation.

One thing i know for sure is smoke alarm beeping when the batteries are low.  He is terrified of the beeps.  Terrified.  He would literally shake on the spot, tails behind his legs and goes into hiding.  Perhaps its some high frequency noise when you blow on the squeaker that we humans can't hear - almost like when you whistle?

Funnily enough, I would think my boy would be scared of squeaker toys, but he loves them.  He will squeak it until it goes mute.  And then squeak it some more just to make sure.

Edited by teddybeans

2 hours ago, teddybeans said:

One thing i know for sure is smoke alarm beeping when the batteries are low.  He is terrified of the beeps.  Terrified.  He would literally shake on the spot, tails behind his legs and goes into hiding.  Perhaps its some high frequency noise when you blow on the squeaker that we humans can't hear - almost like when you whistle?

Yeah it's a weird one. She still plays with her other toys with squeakers in them. I just took her for a walk and she's back to normal again. Just thought it was strange since she's usually fearless and then all of a sudden she's nervous/scared of a noise.

• 5 months later...

As iv just witnessed my pup we have had for 15 months becoming completely terrified by our mozzie zapper machine . It could be that your neighbour has one .as we know there hearing is on a different level to ours . It’s not just when it zaps it must transmit a sound even when not actually zapping.