autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

My daughters little 4 yo dog has been in hospital for 5 days now.  At first the vets thought he had either been bitten by a snake or ingested poison.  They are now treating him for autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia  First two blood transfusions failed but it is now 24 hours since his third transfusion (different donor) & his blood count is now up to 26. 

This is great news, as we didn't expect him to last this long & hopefully it is up & up from now on. Anyone had experience with this...anything we should know??  They will keep him in for another couple of days

• Sad 1

It's a horrible thing, Sheena … my first pure bred BC died of it .. competed happily in 2 UD trials on the Sunday, and after being a bit off on the Tuesday, went downhill rapidly and died on the Friday morning … but that was while the diagnosis was still being made, and in the days before transfusions were available … at least down here.     The fact that his PCV has gone up to 26 after the 3rd transfusion is encouraging.  There's quite a bit of information available on the net .. take it for what it's worth .. but you might get some ideas about how they progress from here.   For my boy it was going to be massive immune suppression .. but again . that may well have changed, and has almost certainly improved in nearly 20 years.     I guess my advice would be …  keep asking questions .. and hope for the best.   I do wish your daughter and her dog well.

• Like 2

I sent out for help on our dog club FB page & the response was overwhelming.  We have a donor & they are testing his blood now & if that is not suitable then we have a greyhound lined up for the morning.  Evidently greyhounds have a very neutral blood type.  So fingers & paws crossed as I feel this will be his last chance to pull through.  It is times like this that pet insurance would have come in handy.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, teddybeans said:

@sheena , any progress on your grandboy?

Hasn't need the 4th Transfusion as his count is stable at 18.  We have a couple of lovely people willing to donate the blood from their greyhounds if necessary.  OMG their are some nice people in this world :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sheena said:

Hasn't need the 4th Transfusion as his count is stable at 18.  We have a couple of lovely people willing to donate the blood from their greyhounds if necessary.  OMG their are some nice people in this world :)

That’s fantastic!  Very good news. Hope it only goes uphill from this point.

my sister told me her friend’s dog was bitten by a snake a few years ago.  It was bad but the dog made a full recovery.  Hope the same applies to you.

• Like 1

He came home this morning.  Blood levels still low, but stable...thankyou everyone for your kind thoughts.  He is not out of the woods yet, by a long shot, but it does look promising 

65600810_10156765217378577_2434416609020870656_n (1).jpg

• Like 4