autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

Excellent to hear.  Did the vet confirm what it was?  Was it a snake or poison?  

If if it was a snake what can you do to prevent the snake from returning?  It’s awful to be fearful of it wandering around.

12 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Excellent to hear.  Did the vet confirm what it was?  Was it a snake or poison?  

If if it was a snake what can you do to prevent the snake from returning?  It’s awful to be fearful of it wandering around.

They are treating it as primary  autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

No secondary cause apparently....just the way he is :(  Not sure if it could be genetic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheena said:

They are treating it as primary  autoimmune-hemolytic-anemia

No secondary cause apparently....just the way he is :(  Not sure if it could be genetic

Is it fully treatable so that she doesn’t relapse?  Like meds for life?

16 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

He is still not out of the woods & from my understanding, from a friend whos dog had it, he will need to be monotered for at least 12 months & not sure about the meds for life, but I would imagine so.  It is my daughters little dog, not mine.  At the moment he has been sent home with meds & has to go back in for a blood check every day

3 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Depends a lot on the type, and the dog's response.   If they're thinking primary .. then it means maybe no outside cause .. just the dog's own immune system doing something it shouldn't be doing and attacking the dog's own red blood cells.    You'll find out more by doing web searches.   It's a seriously nasty disease .. survival levels are getting somewhat better, especially when transfusions are available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tassie said:

just the dog's own immune system doing something it shouldn't be doing and attacking the dog's own red blood cells.   

Its weird that this happened so suddenly where the immune system just shuts downs.  So scary for both the parents and the fur baby.  I would be in tears.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

I would also be sure to look at Titer testing instead of vaccination in the future & be very mindful of any flea/tick meds being used

Yes I agree.  Last night his blood count was up to 30 :party::party:

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, teddybeans said:

@sheena  it’s been a while we heard from you about your grandson.  I assume no news is good news.  How’s he doing?

Hi Teddybeans, cooper is going well.  His last blood count was around 40.  The ongoing cost for his treatment is a bit of a drain on my daughters finances, but she is hanging in there, now that she has come this far.  He is on a few drugs, but the one she would like to find an alternate supplier for, is the Atopica 50mg which the vet is charging $125 for 15 tablets, which last for just 15 days.  A bit of a Google shows she can get it cheaper, but the problem lies in trying to get the prescription off the vet :(

• Like 1

Good to read this update @sheena.  I've been thinking of your daughter's lad too.   Definitely a good sign that his count is still going up.    It's a shame about the Atopica though.  Could she not have a heart to heart with the vet about possible cheaper sources?  Very disappointing if the vet would give her a script.   How long does the lad have to be on the meds?

• Like 1

My understanding is that he has to remain on the Atopica while ever he is on steroids, so not sure how long that will be.  I will tell her about offering the vet a script fee.  Thanks everyone for thinking of him :)

• Like 1

Good to hear.  Just to add on to what the others have said, If you know he is going to be on it for a while, get larger quantities.  This will avoid having to pay a script cost every single time.  Vet meds are awfully expensive, I know!  I’ve experienced this myself, got charged like $70 for 10 when it only cost $10 for 100 wholesale.:eek:

• Sad 1

I've just come across this post while doing yet another internet search. Firstly, I'm so glad to hear that Cooper is improving! Do you know if the blood count is from a PCV test? My Madeline (13 years) is struggling with severe anaemia, currently her PCV is 31. Cooper's condition was one of the possibilities my vet mentioned so I'm very interested in his progress. Sending much love and hoping he continues to improve :heart:

7 hours ago, yellowgirl said:

I've just come across this post while doing yet another internet search. Firstly, I'm so glad to hear that Cooper is improving! Do you know if the blood count is from a PCV test? My Madeline (13 years) is struggling with severe anaemia, currently her PCV is 31. Cooper's condition was one of the possibilities my vet mentioned so I'm very interested in his progress. Sending much love and hoping he continues to improve :heart:

It is my daughters dog so I am not real sure but I think the blood count is from PCV test.  He went right down to 10 at the worst of it.  My girl was suffering from severe aneamia & she had a bleeding stomach ulcer.