4 months old, Jap Spitz with 1 testicle

Rocky

Hi there,

I have a 4 month old Japanese Spitz with an interesting testicle problem.  When he was vet checked by the breeder at 8 weeks of age is was confirmed that he had 2 testicles.  When he went for his 2nd and 3rd vaccination the vet stated that he only has 1 testicle out.  Is it too soon for me to start worrying or should I leave it until he is 6 months old before I panic.  

I have spoken to the breeder and she assures me that they were definately there not only confirmed by her vet but her also or "she would not have sold him to me".

I have this in writing from her.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I have a large breed so might be different but if both testicles aren't down by 12 weeks then that's it as far as I'm concerned. Do you know how to check for yourself? Sometimes they go up and down, stress can make them go up.

Where is the missing one located, if known?

Thyme was a late bloomer (cryptorchid) , noticed on the day I got him at 4 months old as I had a vet over. One ball down and one no-where to be felt.

By his final shot (5ish months old? 5.5months?) it was able to be located, but it was far up in the canal and not moving. I decided if it didn't show up, I'd get him neutered at 1 year old since it's rather bad to leave them up there (cancer risk explosion and the associated aggression i wasn't keen on). For us, at a really late  8 months old, it surprised us all and made it's way to the expected location. That's not the norm tho, and I neutered him at 2 years old.

Given it was there and easily felt at 8 weeks, I would give it a bit longer before being too worried.

Did you feel it at 8 weeks?  I am wondering where it was (they can be very high and able to be gently moved down, or they can be actually down).

If you don't know how to check yourself, it may be beneficial to find out how - then you can check him quietly.  I have known 'shy' boys who were very hard to check when they were stressed or excited (like at a vets) - but they were easily found when checking them gently when they were nice and quietly sitting on the lounge in the evening.  By 4 months I would want them to be 'findable' in some way, and at 6-7 months I would want them fully down.

Some boys have them showing loud and proud at 8 weeks, others have one (or both) who move up and down for a while.

• Like 2

Is this pup to be shown so a need for 2 ??
I have a dog who didn't drop his second till 6 months .
As for the vet i dare say there like many numpty vets that grab down there & go heavy handed trying to find the other & results in the dog not playing the game .

If this is an issue that means the dog isn't suitable for what ever reason then you need to address this with the breeder sooner than later & i certainly wouldn't get everyone to go hunting down there .