teddybeans

Which store allow dogs?

17 posts in this topic

There are really not that many.  I only know of Petbarn and Bunnings.  Does anyone know of any others?

Locally we have some banks that allow dogs and I saw a dog in a clothing store the other day.  A friend of mine takes her dog into quite a few stores in her local area.  So I think you just need to ask before you enter.  Most garden centers I have been to are happy for me to take my dog in with me as well.

• Like 1

Snook   

Mazda car dealerships are dog friendly, although it's not really somewhere you'd go too often. Petstock is pet friendly and a lot of cafes and pubs are happy for you to have dogs in outdoor seating areas. 

That being said, I've seen too many incidences of people being allowed to have their dogs in places like those and not being responsible about it. I've seen dogs that are reactive to other dogs or people barking nonstop at passers-by from cafe seating for the duration of our lunch, a dog being allowed to roam to the length of their leash in outdoor seating at a pub and starting a scuffle with another dog minding its own business, a dog being let off leash in an outdoor seating area at a pub and running around getting under the feet of people passing by (the outdoor area was next to the footpath), a dog let off leash in petstock and bailing my dog up against the counter while the owners were shopping down an aisle and oblivious, two large dogs (I think maybe wolfhounds from memory) being left in the care of a kid inside Petstock and dragging the kid as they lunged towards my dog as we came through the doors, a dog urinating in Petstock and the owner looking at it and then walking over to pay at the counter without saying anything to staff (I said something and she tried to pretend she hadn't seen it).. and they're just the incidents that come to mind straight away. Based on that, I'm not too keen on dogs being allowed in more places until more people do a better job of being more considerate and responsible with their dogs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snook said:

Based on that, I'm not too keen on dogs being allowed in more places until more people do a better job of being more considerate and responsible with their dogs. 

That’s also true.  I know a friend whose wife is afraid of dogs.  Probably from a bad experience when she was younger.  Recently she sprang her ankle being fearful when she saw a German Shepherd.  The dog I was told by my friend was not aggressive or over excited, just minding his own business.  But just the sight of such a big dog freaked her out

• Like 1

Dogsfevr   

Australians are selfish to dog ownership & shot themselves in the foot when it comes to places being dog friendly ,we run kennels & a grooming salon & we have clients who will walk there dogs over to our outdoor setting & in the past BBQ to allow there dogs to pee up it & then look at you like your a martian when you say please don't let your dog wee up our private belongings

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Scratch   
1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Australians are selfish to dog ownership & shot themselves in the foot when it comes to places being dog friendly ,we run kennels & a grooming salon & we have clients who will walk there dogs over to our outdoor setting & in the past BBQ to allow there dogs to pee up it & then look at you like your a martian when you say please don't let your dog wee up our private belongings

Yep! 

Running grooming salons, I frequently had clients let their dogs urinate on my shop front, and other nearby shopfronts, crap on the footpath and surrounds as they came up to the salon, and make no attempt at all to clean up or even notify me of the issue, AND let them piss all over my reception area and just stand there and watch, make no attempt to assist or ask about cleaning up, and even, I kid you not, be the ONLY dog in reception, let their dog crap on the floor and then claim it couldn’t have been their dog! Reception is about 2 square meteres, I think I know what’s going on in there! 

And then of course there’s the people who deliberately or cluelessly, let their dogs behave and interact with people and animals in the surrounding area, in completely inappropriate manner, and don’t, can’t, whatever, make any attempts at rectifying things or removing themselves. 

Until the wider population gets a grip on truly responsible pet ownership, not much is going to change sadly. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Omg.  Isn’t this just common pet etiquette... actually common etiquette in general!

it true now you mention it.  I often see people walking their pets without a doggy poo bag or don’t clean up after their dogs.

its so common in Europe to see dogs in shops (particularly in Paris).  But then again I see poo everywhere on the streets and it seems no one cares!

ness   

Oh yep I forgot about Mazda. My young one had a blast there one day when I had to call in and get brakes checked. They said she was welcome to stop by anytime and got heaps of attention.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ness said:

Oh yep I forgot about Mazda. My young one had a blast there one day when I had to call in and get brakes checked. They said she was welcome to stop by anytime and got heaps of attention.

Gone on an excursion :D

But I think could be just that branch.  I would have thought car dealerships would forbid dogs, so many cars go in and out they wouldn't want the liability of accidentally hitting a dog.  They can't predict what dogs would do either, they could bolt out all of a sudden.

Snook   
11 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

Gone on an excursion :D

But I think could be just that branch.  I would have thought car dealerships would forbid dogs, so many cars go in and out they wouldn't want the liability of accidentally hitting a dog.  They can't predict what dogs would do either, they could bolt out all of a sudden.

As far as I know, it's all branches. I had my car serviced with them this week and would have been welcome to bring my dog. I decided not to because of his anxiety issues and the risk of staff yelling to each other or loud bangs from the workshop, since I had to wait there for two hours and he's nervous to frightened around loud noises. Obviously you can't have dogs running around the workshop or car yard, but on leash in their reception/waiting area with tables/chairs/couches, or in their showroom and sales offices would be perfectly safe. You could also safely walk an on leash dog around their used car yard, as the only vehicles going in and out are for test drives where the staff set the car you're interested in up at an exit point for you and you leave it parked on the side of the road afterwards, for them to put back on the lot. I can't imagine you'd be allowed to put a dog in a car you're test driving anyway, due to the risk of hair or soiling the interior, so it's really just for indoor situations with no moving vehicles. 

• Like 2

ness   

Yep its on the Mazda website - all dealerships. Though I did check before I took her and used my discretion in taking only my very stable girl. I left my old girl home as she can get a little anxious around strange people/environments.

• Like 1

It comes down to being a responsible dog owner.... some are fantastic at it and some shouldn’t own a dog.

i never go anywhere without poo bags.. i have them stashed in my car, coat pockets and I carry a bottle of water in case they do a sloppy ploppy so I can wash away what I can’t pick up, or they decide to wee on the footpath :doh:

i have taken my dogs to Petstock on their birthday so they  can pick out a toy they like but they are always leashed and watched like a hawk... because as you know those dog treats smell so delicious :laugh: 

The other week Sasha was at the vet for a check up and I looked away for a split second and she pooped on the floor.. I was mortified to say the least and apologised but they were good about  it though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

i have taken my dogs to Petstock on their birthday so they  can pick out a toy they like but they are always leashed and watched like a hawk... because as you know those dog treats smell so delicious :laugh: 

i love the way you roll :happydance:

5 hours ago, teddybeans said:

i love the way you roll :happydance:

Lol it’s become a tradition and they love having a sniff to see which one they like :) 

• Like 1

Tassie   

My local Petbarn is ideal .. a nice wide opening and wide aisles, with good lines of sight.  I quite often take my dogs in there - always one at a time as I need to be able to give them my full attention.  Great place to train against distractions.   Mind you .. my youngster in particular gets very, very excited, so it can take us a while just to make it through the doorway .. she has to show some impulse control and do her normal sit and wait for permission .    There are scales handily placed for weighing dogs too.    And yes, mine have been in to choose birthday treats or toys.

• Like 1