My Polly

Pollywaffle

I knew this would be the one site where I would get a clean, sensible response..so here goes...

Polly, my pomeranian, is 12 1/2.  Recently she was rushed to an emergency vets (weekend) and diagnosed with HGE.  During her ultrasound the vets found a Transition Cell Carcinoma - not confirmed, but location on the bladder etc...every vet since then (three weeks ago) advises that she has 6/8 months at best before .....

Anyway, we took her to our normal vets on Saturday for a check up on the HGE/Pancreatitis and a vet we have not seen for years advised that she may also have diabetes.  He is wanting us to come back in two weeks time and have her bloods tested and then probably start on a course of insulin..injected twice a day etc..this will entail her having time in the vet hospital checking her glucose curves...etc...

My and my husband's absolute dilemma..hence this post..is quite frankly do we put her through all the testing/insulin giving etc if she has limited life.  Money is not the driving factor, although it is a consideration naturally..but she hates the vets and going there..trembles when she reaches the building...do we put her through that when ...

I don't know I really don't!  I spent my hours literally thinking about what is the best thing to do for Polly.  I naturally love her to bits and every time I look at her I want to hold her tight and not allow her to go .  Should we continue with the diabetes treatment?  At the moment Polly does not seem to be in any pain, other than peeing and drinking a lot...She still likes her walks and gets cross when dogs go by our front garden so definitely engaged with life.

I would sooooo appreciate your learned advice/guidance if you are able.

Thanks so much in advance

Pollywaffle

She will be feeling pretty cruddy if she has untreated diabetes - think headache, achy all over, grumpy and constantly needing to pee, drink and possibly eat. So in order to make her feel better her last little while I'd chat with the vet about how much insulin versus food and what they want her bsl to be, buy a bsl tester and strips and then just test at home. You can always keep in touch with your vet via phone if the insulin dose needs tweaking. They can charge for a phone consult if it takes up the same amount of time as a physical consult but then at least your girl won't be so stressed by having to head into the vet. 

I'm sorry she's so unwell :heart: but you don't know diabetes is in the mix yet, so try not to panic. I don't think you need to get her bsl perfect, just a little more consistent so she isn't feeling cruddy from it :heart:

Edited by mackiemad

Thanks everso Mackiemad...you're right we don't know for sure it's diabetes.  Also, the vet didn't elaborate on the impact on Polly's health with the diabetes..but now you've detailed it, I can see what we're dealing with...  Appreciate this..of course, if I had my way, she wouldn' t have anything wrong with her..vet said I might be in denial!!! 

Appreciate your words

P

• Like 2

Hey, Pollywaffle - 
Poor old Polly ... old age catches up , doesn't it ? :( Sorry she has those problems, but glad to hear that she is still asserting herself with those troublesome passersby! 
mackiemad gave good advice - best of luck with it all - she is one lucky old girl  :hug: 

• Like 1

Oh that's tough, @Pollywaffle..   It's hard when they get older and things start going wrong  (well, not just them either ).  If the Evet was right about the carcinoma, then I don't know that I'd be getting aggressive about the possible diabetes .. unless of course those symptoms became really concerning.  I think if she were mine, I would be running a complete blood panel just to see what indicators there might be.  That will mean an uncomfortable blood draw, but will hopefully give you a clearer picture of what might be happening.  Here's hoping you can get some good information without stressing her or you guys too much.

Thanks Persephone...when I first came on this site years ago..I had two healthy young delights...our boy went last year and now Polly...never having kids and still having parents, I've never experienced grief like it and now...I feel that I am looking at a little dog who doesn't know what is about to befall her..I guess that's a good thing..but I KNOW!! and that makes it so hard...

a world without both of them is going to be very empty....

Sorry..getting maudlin

Thanks again

PW

Thanks Barb/Tassie

Old age certainly does hit us all!  But at least Polly has kept her looks and delightful mane....more than can be said for me :)

I take on board what you've said..we are due to go back to vets in two weeks' time so will do as you suggest ref blood... but it's the balance between subjecting them to things that don't achieve anything versus the desire to leave her in peace...soooo tricky!

PW

• 2 weeks later...