What type of dog should I get?

IwantAdog

We are a family of four children (youngest is 9) and we have quite a large yard. The father doesn’t really want a dog but everyone else is keen on getting one. 

If we were to get a dog it would need to meet the requirements of:

- smallish 

- not bark a lot 

- not shed 

- won’t dig up the garden 

- happy to go on walks but not too active 

*we already have two cats 

any advice on what type of dog we should get would be greatly appreciated

I have always owned mini schnauzers. 

They are a great family dog. Loyal,  very smart and very trainable.

Smallish.

Barking - depends a lot on training but they do make excellent little guard dogs as they have excellent hearing and are very alert.

They don’t shed. However they do need/ should be regularly groomed. 

Mine have never dug up gardens and although they love going for walks they don’t demand it and are usually very happy to do whatever the family is doing. 

And we have always had cats and they have got on really well. Best mates actually.

Good luck choosing a breed to suit your family.

• Like 1

I also have two mini schnauzers, another vote there.  Highly intelligent dogs, does well with kids.

Mine doesnt dig but again digging is  mostly due to boredom.

They will alert you with a bit of barking though if they hear something. 

And you have to be prepared to either groom them yourself or pay for a groomer a few times a year as their fur will grow and get matted.  I learnt how to do this myself but it takes a bit of time to clip them.  And I have two!  I clip mine in the summer every 6 weeks or so and let the fur grow out during winter as it keeps them warm and just clip the bottom, ears, head and under body and trim the beard.

However, as a first dog, I wouldn’t get a schnauzer, you will want one with less maintenance as it can be a bit overwhelming for a new dog owner. I have owned other breeds in the past and the schnauzer is my first one that needs grooming.  But I love them to bits.

They come in three sizes.  If you decide to get one, it’s the mini you are after if you want a small dog.

Edited by teddybeans

what about a small wire haired dog like a Griffon or Affenpinscher.  The coat isn’t as big as many of the wire terrier breeds. It will barely shed if brushed and combed properly. It’s a good in between coat,  between the higher maintenance of the true ‘non shedding’ types, and the short coats that shed a lot. The breed is quite small but relatively sturdy. Would enjoy exercise and family activities but could be kept stimulated with games, play and training within the home too. 

The other breed that springs to mind is the Italian Greyhound. 

The Miniature Dachshund comes in 3 coat varieties, I especially like the wire coats, but the long and smooth coats are also low maintenance and shedding can be kept to a minimum pretty easily with all 3 coat varieties.

A lot of the digging/barking etc is down to training and effort that you put in. 

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, IwantAdog said:

The father doesn’t really want a dog

THIS is very important . 

everyone needs to be on the same page , or it's not only a puppy who suffers . 

have a read of the following link, too :)

LINK  

Dogs will dig/bark etc if they are untrained/bored. There isn't a 'breed'  as such . 
Pups are similar to human youngsters  in their needs! 
warmth/food/human company ...as much learning as can be fitted into a day , security, love, and discipline.  :) 

• Like 1

Where will the dog live inside or outside .
All dogs shed except some breeds shed differently .Any of the low shedding breeds will require a trip to the groomers anywhere from 6/10 weeks & must be brushed regularly to remove the coat that sheds differently ,Prices for grooming can vary so please factor that into your breed choice..

As for your requirements most of that list comes down to what the owners will train & what type of life they will provide but even the best of dogs will have a digging moment it comes down to the degree it digs .
Barking can be created often an issue with kids who run around screaming encouraging the dog to bark ,be over stimulated so it will require all family members to be committed to training,brushing,grooming & giving the dog a wonderful life outside of the bark yard ,

• Like 1

Just thinking.... as Dad isn't yet convinced, as your cats, and children haven't had to live with a dog ..what about applying to be foster parents to rescue/shelter dogs - short term, perhaps? 
That way you have the support of the shelter, are doing a fantastic service, helping a dog, and deciding if a dog will fit in your household :) 

It's a big decision ...what can I offer a pup/dog , and which pup/dog best suits what I DO have to offer ? 
we have a list of breeds  with their particulars /notes on their needs, and  suitability for families, first time owners etc  , if you click HERE  

• Like 1

You havn’t said how often you will walk it ,will you be happy to pay a groomer regularly,  where it will live and sleep and wether it will be left a lot . 

Certain breeds will bark more it’s their nature, but no one can advise till you answer the above questions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, persephone said:

THIS is very important . 

everyone needs to be on the same page , or it's not only a puppy who suffers . 

This I agree.  Everyone needs to be mentally prepared to welcome a dog into the family.  It’s also hard work like picking up poo, grooming, toilet training, vet visits for vaccination and god forbid illnesses, regular walks etc.

if you are prepared for all the above, then you are returned with unconditional love loyalty and a best friend forever.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 8:38 PM, teddybeans said:

This I agree.  Everyone needs to be mentally prepared to welcome a dog into the family.  It’s also hard work like picking up poo, grooming, toilet training, vet visits for vaccination and god forbid illnesses, regular walks etc.

if you are prepared for all the above, then you are returned with unconditional love loyalty and a best friend forever.

I have to say I disagree! 

My husband isnt an animal person. He would be happy without any pets. But there is no way I could do that  

He hardly has anything to do with Bolt, but she doesn't suffer because of it. Husband knows the dog is coming when we go out, he doesn't like it but has no choice! 

It can work, as long as the other person is 100% committed 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I have to say I disagree! 

My husband isnt an animal person. He would be happy without any pets. But there is no way I could do that  

He hardly has anything to do with Bolt, but she doesn't suffer because of it. Husband knows the dog is coming when we go out, he doesn't like it but has no choice! 

It can work, as long as the other person is 100% committed 

I disagree too, for different reasons. How many times has the puppy won the heart of someone who claims not to like dogs?  I'm prejudiced this way... but I think the greatest chance of winning hearts comes with high empathy sook breeds... notably Labs and goldies.  It's usually better when everyone loves the dog. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I disagree too, for different reasons. How many times has the puppy won the heart of someone who claims not to like dogs?  I'm prejudiced this way... but I think the greatest chance of winning hearts comes with high empathy sook breeds... notably Labs and goldies.  It's usually better when everyone loves the dog. 

Yeah this is a positive outcome.

I’ve actually seen both sides of this, one is exactly as you described above.  

The other not so great, husband couldn’t cope with the dog and they ended up giving away.  Obviously there were difficult discussions to be had.  Wife was distraught (imagine the kids!) and so were the people that came to love the pet.  It wasn’t good for pet either suddenly changing to a new environment - they didn’t have a say in this from the start!

Bottom line is to set expectations so that the latter doesn’t happen.  

The second thing is pick a dog breed that has the traits that suits your family’s lifestyle.  For example, you don’t want a super active breed for a not so super active family and vice versa.  That can also make or break the bond with the animal.

it can work but everyone should be mentally prepared and accepts a new pet into the family.

Edited by teddybeans
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

He hardly has anything to do with Bolt, but she doesn't suffer because of it.

you are a committed and experienced dog person ...and know both the breed, and what is needed . That is what makes it work  for her :)

• Like 3

To me it depends on the 'non dog' persons attitude - are they neutral or against?

If one person in the household just isn't in to dogs - then that is fine, as long as one (or more) people are, then it will most probably work as the dog (or whichever pet) will get the interaction, care etc that's needed.

But if someone is against the pet idea - then there will most likely be friction etc.   EG:  Dog barks a couple of times (even the quietest dog will hear/see something).  If that is met with yelling/blaming etc, then it will go pear shaped quickly.  Dogs are going to bark, dig, annoy, shed, interfere, get in the way, cost money etc etc.   If that is understood accepted, then these things soon are ignored/forgotten in the whole picture and the good far outweighs these things.

But if the 'no dog' person says - you can have one as long as it doesn't bark, shed, dig etc etc - and especially if they are not the most tolerant person - then it will be an issue.

Back to the question about 'which type' - I would recommend not a working/herding breed or a terrier due to energy and intensity levels - perhaps a whippet (as long as it clearly knows chasing cats is not on :-))

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BDJ said:

To me it depends on the 'non dog' persons attitude - are they neutral or against?

If one person in the household just isn't in to dogs - then that is fine, as long as one (or more) people are, then it will most probably work as the dog (or whichever pet) will get the interaction, care etc that's needed.

But if someone is against the pet idea - then there will most likely be friction etc.   EG:  Dog barks a couple of times (even the quietest dog will hear/see something).  If that is met with yelling/blaming etc, then it will go pear shaped quickly.  Dogs are going to bark, dig, annoy, shed, interfere, get in the way, cost money etc etc.   If that is understood accepted, then these things soon are ignored/forgotten in the whole picture and the good far outweighs these things.

But if the 'no dog' person says - you can have one as long as it doesn't bark, shed, dig etc etc - and especially if they are not the most tolerant person - then it will be an issue.

Back to the question about 'which type' - I would recommend not a working/herding breed or a terrier due to energy and intensity levels - perhaps a whippet (as long as it clearly knows chasing cats is not on :-))

So true & we see it in our business ,a partner who is totally anti dog & begrudges the money required for hair cuts so its gets dran out longer between cuts .
No dog should be brought into a home made to suck it up & maybe change someones mind if owning a dog is totally something they can't cope well after all why should the dog be the one to suffer .
If a person is willing to be involved but just has never experienced dogs but is happy to give it a go then picking the right breed a must .
Some breeds are like velcro always want to be with you & can drive some people bonkers ,others prefer that very independent space kind of dog .

This also applies to parents who want a dog but have children terrified of them & believe by buying a dog they will just get over it & this often ends badly with dog no longer wanted ,forced to live out side .
Mind you i would also be very careful with getting a sensitive breed if someone is very anti dog

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Some breeds are like velcro always want to be with you & can drive some people bonkers ,others prefer that very independent space kind of dog .

I laughed at this because I have one of each :rofl: