What are they scratching at?

teddybeans

I’m sure every dog does it.  They find a spot and then starts scratching at it.  And they persist at the same spot.  There is nothing under the spot they are scratching at, but they just do it and it drives me crazy!

Usually it’s on carpet or on their bed.  After they are satisfy with their scratching, they do a 360 turn and then sits on top of the spot.  :hitself:What are they doing?

6 minutes ago, Snook said:

I've always assumed it's a type of nesting behaviour, trying to make their sleeping spot more comfy, even if it sometimes has the opposite effect.. lol. 

On a bed that makes sense, but on a portable carpet???  It’s flat, it doesn’t get any flatter.:rofl:

Molly does this too. In her bed, on the lounge and even just on plain carpet. 

She scratches around, messes up the spot, does the 360 turn, then sits down for a 2 minutes and then she gets up and comes and sits with me. :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

If you want to see this behavior to the Nth degree, be around a bitch who is almost ready to whelp.  They go nuts with circling and pawing abd and messing about with bedding. 

I’ll agree. Zena was a great one for that. She once totally destroyed the box and everything in it prior to giving birth. Ripped everything apart. I had to quickly organise another before the big moment arrived. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I searched about this since I was so bothered by his scratching on our matress before we would sleep. Found out that it's in their genes to do that since dogs before would hunt and would really dig the soil. 

• Like 2

On 20/08/2019 at 8:24 PM, persephone said:

..and this is why a dog  bed should preferably be a 'nest' shape ..not a flat mattress :)  they have the instinct to dig/shape a hollow in which to curl ...

Oh is that why?  I brought them a flat memory foam mattress and they seem to always want to go back and sleep on their old stinky pillow :banghead:

• Like 2