My British bulldogs red , inflamed feet and paws

Hey guys ,

this is my first time on here, I have an adorable 3 year old pure bread British bulldog named Basile whom I’m very much attached too. He is on a raw food diet of kangaroo and veg purée (boiled carrots , pumpkin , sweetpatato, eggs, coconut oil ) 450gm per day. 

I have been having this battle with his paws and in between his toes getting red and inflamed and he consistently licks them which he is now wearing a cone.

i have been trying to battle this for 2 years  I have tried everything holistic from epsom salt soaks , iodine soaks, vinager soaks, Malasab soaks. I have cleaned every time we walk and rub coconut oil on them , also I have been to the vet whom gave me several creams and powders with no luck! I really love my boy he is my best friend and I do what ever I can for his well-being (even sometimes before myself) he is a health 25kg walked twice daily, he is in great spirits he plays etc never had any other medical conditions , but I just can’t seem to get his paws right and I’m on the verge on stressing out and breaking as nothing is working. 

So I have turned to anyone that could please give me some advise, words would not be able to explain how appreciative I would be ! Below are some photos of Basile . 

unfortunatley I am unable to upload pics but his paws and inbetween and underneath are red and inflamed. 

Edited by Steve1985
Spelling error

My boy used to lick his paws raw.  I used to washed them everyday so that Bacteria doesn’t thrive but come to think of it, it may have caused it to dry out the skin causing more itch.  I found after washing it, (and drying completely) he would lick less, but would start licking again later in the day.  

One  thing I did is trim the fur down to a minimal in between his paws so it’s not constantly wet ( again bacteria ).   I remember taking him to the vet and the vet gave him a cortisone (I think) shot which almost immediately stopped the licking.  It’s important in the next couple of days after the shot to keep the area dry and clean, so that he doesn’t lick at it after the injection wears off.

it could start off as an allergy and become a habit if you know what I mean.

my boy doesn’t have it any more, it was more when he was younger,  once in a while he will lick at it and I would inspect it closely because there may be some foreign object like a grass seed or a bindi that’s causing the irritation.  

• Thanks 1

Where's the calcium in the diet? meat and veg is not a balanced diet. It is possible he is allergic to something in his diet or environment.  Has the vet done a skin scraping? A course of antibiotics? Is it the actual skin or just the fur? I wouldn't be rubbing coconut oil on his feet, that would just encourage him to lick the area, at least it would my dogs. Ever tried tinea powder? I would be going back to the vet, asking for cortisone to nip the itching in the bud and some antibiotics for any secondary infection and keeping the feet as dry as possible.

• Like 6

My first thought is contact allergy.  Maybe to grass.  Is there Tradescantia (wandering Jew) on your property? But Rebanne is right, you need a vet's advice...and roo+veg isn't a balanced diet. Diagnosis via internet is a dubious process. 

• Like 1

One of mine gets itchy feet sometimes. I use human antihistamines , which generally stops it, at certain times if year it doesn't work  so she gets a 10 day course of steriods and then its gone.

You could try dog boots . I agree about the food its not enough. You could try Big Dog patties, all raw and they do a sensitive one.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback , it has really made a world of difference in my approach. I have taken him to the vet several times as mentioned but he has never had cortisone or Any steroid tablets, he has been on antibiotics before and I do give him sometimes human antihistamine but doesn’t reduce the swelling and redness. As far as the diet he is on are you reccomending to stay on a raw food diet but get one pre made (loaf)? I am starting to think that as much as I and the vet thought his diet was good that this actually be the problem? What are your thoughts on foot soaks and where can I get the tinia powder? Hey guys Thankyou all so much for this help , I’m really stressed and I’n a dark place about this problem at the moment so all your comments help.

A friend of mines, border collie had this problem & after spending $$$$$$'s at the vet, someone suggested trying feeding cooked pumpkin skin.  It took a few weeks & I am not sure how much he gave her, but it worked :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Steve1985 said:

Sorry guys also I’m the mornings he has 1/2 cup of organic goats milk . Just thought would add that

ok so he would be getting some calcium from the milk. When you mix the eggs into the puree chuck the shells in as well. Skin scraping is good, seems as the vet says allergy then the scraping is clear of mites etc. it is sounding like a contact allergy. If the dog, and your, lives are being made a misery by this then I would be back to the vet asking about cortisone.

ETA after reading @sheena's pumpkin idea it wouldn't hurt to try that. Either at the same time as the cortisone or on it's own. Only you ( and maybe your vet ) can decide that. I'm going to give it a go with my itchy dog who reacts to the grass and yes sometimes has cortisone for bad flare ups.

Edited by Rebanne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rebanne hi Thankyou for the response yes he is clear of mites etc , also he has his monthly topical advocate flea tick etc treatment as well as his heart worm tablet. I’m starting to think it’s his diet ? He has been on this diet a long time I have tried kibbles grain free as when he has anything with grains he develops tear stains and sores (bulldog typical problem) but I’m starting to think I’m doing something wrong with his diet even though I thought and get it was a great diet but maybe not ? I don’t know what else to do! Very upset about this I just want my boy to be free of this ! He and any other dogs deserve to have there 100% health, and I honestly can say I have given him 1000% care since a puppy, but I’m open that I might be doing something wrong unintentionally??

I'm going to suggest he wear boots when outside :)  get some decent, well fitted ones ..not just rubbery ones which will sweat .  If his feet do not have as much contact with grass .. theoretically , the inflammation should settle . 

the other point is that he may just be a compulsive licker/chewer when home alone . is he alone while you're at work ? Do you see him go for his feet at any particular times ? ..or does he not bother ? 

@persephone thanks for the response ,

he might only spend 1 hour of the day without one of us there. He just seems to always lick them when laying down ! He knows I get annoyed so he tries doing it sneaky. Okay will do the boots ! Any other suggestions? Do you think I need to change his diet ? 

5 minutes ago, Steve1985 said:

He just seems to always lick them when laying down ! He knows I get annoyed so he tries doing it sneaky.

I know that pattern ! he will continue to lick ..cos they itch/hurt . He's not trying to sneak ...he can't help it . 

@Snookthanks for your opinion it really means a lot . When I walk Basile I try to keep him off the grass (few small nature strips ) as much as I can but as all dogs after he pees he does the scratching marking thing , so I will def get some boots do you know anywhere that would sell decent ones that actually stay on? Also as far as other proteins he has and been on beef mince with the same vegetables I give him now but I found that flared up his tear stains . I hAve heard about the barf before and I think that might be a good option well atkeast for a month or so to see if any improvements? What is your take on what to use after walks ? I currently use just wet water wipes out of the packet ? Do you still think foot soaks should be done ? Or go to the vet and ask for the cortisone or steroid as he hasn’t had that before and his paws are quite inflamed and red ? 

Huge thanks to everyone for there input it makes the world of difference for what I’m going through ! Everyone has been very supportive and informative! Thanks and if anyone else can suggest please do so. Many thanks 

3 hours ago, Steve1985 said:

Thank you all for the feedback , it has really made a world of difference in my approach. I have taken him to the vet several times as mentioned but he has never had cortisone or Any steroid tablets, he has been on antibiotics before and I do give him sometimes human antihistamine but doesn’t reduce the swelling and redness. As far as the diet he is on are you reccomending to stay on a raw food diet but get one pre made (loaf)? I am starting to think that as much as I and the vet thought his diet was good that this actually be the problem? What are your thoughts on foot soaks and where can I get the tinia powder? Hey guys Thankyou all so much for this help , I’m really stressed and I’n a dark place about this problem at the moment so all your comments help.

Dietary allergies are vastly overrated, and don't typically show up as itchy feet.  If he were mine I'd try a few months on a well-known brand of quality dry food (they're all much of a muchness so fat as I can tell) and... of course.... cut the experiment short if the problem gets worse.  

British bulldogs have loads of heredity problems.  I'd also ask his breeder if they have had any experience with itchy feet. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1