FDA identifies 16 problem food brands for pet dogs

asal

2 minutes ago, asal said:

I hate these irresponsible pet food suppliers.  I'm the first to admit I have been feeding my boys taste of the wild for years.  Because I read excellent, excellent reviews on it when they first started - and my boys did well on it.  As they are imported from USA, they were also a lot more expensive than a lot of other pet food brands, but I'm willing to pay the premium because I thought it was better for my dogs.  

This year I stopped after seeing reports of TOTW in the media.  Now seeing TOTW being reported as the top 3, I'm questioning whether I have been I feeding them the wrong thing all these years - even with all good intentions.  So upset.

6 hours ago, FootprintsinSand said:

When they talk about peas do they mean the green peas in a pod or pulses/ legumes such as chick peas?

They mean the dry varieties, which are widely used in place of grain in grain free dry (possibly also moist) foods. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the current 'popular' theory is that foods that are high in lentils and/or peas (listed in the top 10 ingredients) are somehow impacting on the absorption or metabolism of taurine. Oddly, some of the dogs did have normal blood taurine levels, but quite a large number improved when started on a new food/treated medically for taurine deficiency. I'm on a few FB groups and it's actually shocking how many people are stubbornly refusing to change foods from those on the FDA list. I personally wouldn't risk it.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is a lesson in understanding that really a big Commercial Company is more focused on their profits.... they are a self regulated industry and the only time any outside body will come and check is when there have been serious problems proven... Surely they should be testing their products regularly looking at the quality control in house... but obviously not happening....

Companies have loads of ways to market their product to the consumer.... one way is too choose names like 'holistic' or 'Nature' ... when it is probably the same crap as found in any other processed food... It is like McDonalds... just because they might serve the food to the table on a wooden tray in a wicker basked doesn't make it any better than the fried crap served thru the drive thru window...

So just like with our children... feeding food as close to its natural state makes more sense.... at least we know what is in the bowl....

• Like 2

Another lesson to be learned is that a few months of feeding trials, probably using beagles, isn't adequate to determine a food is 'nutritionally complete' for long term feeding or for all breeds and mixed breeds. 

Unfortunately, long term, multi-breed trials would be extremely expensive.  

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 6:19 PM, Rascalmyshadow said:

Oh wonderful we’ve been feeding earthborn holistic instead of Canidae.

Can anyone tell me how long before you would see negative signs in a puppy.

Sudden death may be the first sign of a problem. Best to talk to your veterinarian about this issue. 

On 7/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, alpha bet said:

Perhaps it is a lesson in understanding that really a big Commercial Company is more focused on their profits.... they are a self regulated industry and the only time any outside body will come and check is when there have been serious problems proven... Surely they should be testing their products regularly looking at the quality control in house... but obviously not happening....

Companies have loads of ways to market their product to the consumer.... one way is too choose names like 'holistic' or 'Nature' ... when it is probably the same crap as found in any other processed food... It is like McDonalds... just because they might serve the food to the table on a wooden tray in a wicker basked doesn't make it any better than the fried crap served thru the drive thru window...

So just like with our children... feeding food as close to its natural state makes more sense.... at least we know what is in the bowl....

Actually, it's not that simple to balance whole, natural foods.  Say you feed chicken carcass with skin and some fatty tissue.  Hard to guess what the ratio of fat to protein is.  Very likely there's too much fat for some individuals and some breeds.  Similar problem with lamb flaps.  The stuff they sell for raw feeding is, in some cases, more meat byproduct than meat.

I've been on TOTW for years - it once had excellent reviews!  Only recently switched due to these reports.  Something about it going through some radiation or treatment in customs as its imported.  I now source locally.

On 22/07/2019 at 4:59 PM, sandgrubber said:

Actually, it's not that simple to balance whole, natural foods.  Say you feed chicken carcass with skin and some fatty tissue.  Hard to guess what the ratio of fat to protein is.  Very likely there's too much fat for some individuals and some breeds.  Similar problem with lamb flaps.  The stuff they sell for raw feeding is, in some cases, more meat byproduct than meat.

Actually it can be quite easy to make a simple balanced meal... at least better than what the Commercial Food Companies are doing now....For a start you can use real meat (not a meat by-product)... we don't have to get to worked up about getting trying to get the 'correct ratio' of fat to protein........ It is more about giving the dog a varied diet - using different meats such as beef/lamb/roo/venison helps to feed the different gut bacteria.. We can use products like Vets All Natural Complete Mix which will help to add the different minerals our dogs need from (without the cooking process that will kill of the benefits).... We can add products like Greek Yoghurt, sardines, fruit and bone broth. All relatively easy to buy or make....

Common sense applies.... we can buy our kids a Happy Meal for dinner.... OR.... we can get some fresh fruit and vegetables and make something for them..... Seems a pretty easy choice.....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alpha bet said:

Actually it can be quite easy to make a simple balanced meal... at least better than what the Commercial Food Companies are doing now....For a start you can use real meat (not a meat by-product)... we don't have to get to worked up about getting trying to get the 'correct ratio' of fat to protein........ It is more about giving the dog a varied diet - using different meats such as beef/lamb/roo/venison helps to feed the different gut bacteria.. We can use products like Vets All Natural Complete Mix which will help to add the different minerals our dogs need from (without the cooking process that will kill of the benefits).... We can add products like Greek Yoghurt, sardines, fruit and bone broth. All relatively easy to buy or make....

Common sense applies.... we can buy our kids a Happy Meal for dinner.... OR.... we can get some fresh fruit and vegetables and make something for them..... Seems a pretty easy choice.....

I will never understand why people have made raw feeding so complicated! 

I like Ike your Happy Meal analogy. I always compare eating a whole fresh apple to eating a slice of apple pie! 

Part of the reason they make it complicated can be found in studies. Often with over 50% of the recipes are not meeting the micro and macro nutrient needs of the animals they are intended for. 

Not saying that raw is not achievable, just that current evidence indicates that many people can not get it right. 

• Like 4

On 23/07/2019 at 8:53 PM, teddybeans said:

I've been on TOTW for years - it once had excellent reviews!  Only recently switched due to these reports.  Something about it going through some radiation or treatment in customs as its imported.  I now source locally.

Taste of the Wild is not irradiated nor are any other imported dry dog or cat foods. Check with AQIS if you are in doubt about imported products - heresay can come from anywhere. 

• Like 1