Selective Recall variation....Ideas needed

I have a dog that will come to me when I call most times....although I admit it isn't a reliable recall.  Regardless of how many times I go back to basics I can occasionally see the smile on his face that says....I'm not coming all the way to you when you want me to.  That said, it isn't the problem that is really getting to me.   The problem is getting him to come in the back door when I call him.  He will stop just outside the door, again with a smile on his face, and say...I know what you want but I'm not going to come in.   I have tried bribing with favourite food and/or toys, walking in and out on lead with rewards for correct behaviour.  I need some fresh ideas for this one as I know it has turned into a game.

As he's coming up, try throwing his reward for coming through the door so he has to chase it. This can make the reward more rewarding too, because its fun to chase things. Don't wait until he stops, just gently toss it. Not too fast so he's not skittering about too much, just enough to get some speed and make it interesting.

If he's confused maybe try the motion out in the yard as a recall game first. Recall, dog runs towards you, reward by tossing it past you so dog runs past. As dog collects that reward, recall word!, dog runs towards you, toss the reward in opposite direction.

(Bonus: practicing recalling from distraction/practicing recalling while excited and  an all around good exercise game to burn some energy lmao)

You could start having the reward just waiting inside the door for him. Point it out at first until he starts to get the idea. Start moving it further into the house as he gets faster/smoother. could even start hiding it as a bit of a game for future rainy days.

• Like 1

Thanks TBD.  I have tried the tossing the biscuit/toy things but he is a wake up to this ploy.  This is a quirky terrier, notoriously difficult to train as their motivation really is different to most dogs.  I have trained Dobes that will recall at a gallop and skid to a sit right in front of me...so different... and training methods can vary between terriers of the same breed but I can usually adapt.  This dogs particular quirk means that he won't recall into the house in the mornings but midday and afternoons are OK.  Evenings are like the mornings as he has twigged that I want him in as quickly as possible.  I have obviously not disguised my body language well enough as he can pick the difference.  Normally I can outthink a terrier because I know what motivates them and I use that to create wanted behaviours.....but I have an uphill battle with this guy.  He obviously thinks too much!

Edited by Stitch

Does the game stop after you toss the biscuit in?

Could perhaps you then toss it in and out a few times for a bunch of repetitions. Then sometimes leave him outside, sometimes leave him inside...and once he's inside with the door closed keep playing the game for another 5 minutes or so (or tug or ball or some other indoor friendly game he likes) to make it more worth his while? So he gets more time playing as the reward over the reward itself.

• Like 1

Yes, if I just toss the biscuit in he stops at the door and looks at me....just before he turns and runs away!!  I will give playing the game for a further 5 minutes (once I get him inside) a go now and get back to you.  :thumbsup:

I started throwing the treats around on the outside verandah, encouraging him to play the game and then worked towards the open door.  He went inside no problem but I suspect he would have come inside without the biscuit because it is the middle of the day.  He wasn't even that interested in continuing getting the treats when he went inside.  The test will be when I try it again this evening.  I hope the problem is this easy to fix then.  I will let you know.

Haha! Well, if played a lot in the middle of the day, hopefully it will carry over to the evening. Are there something he enjoys more than treats? Some kind of forbidden toy or paper destroying destruction?

Is there something that could be putting him off perhaps? Cold flooring in morning and evening or a touch slippery?

It is a puzzle, but think of how good you'll feel when you solve this one!

Repeated midday routine and he went in right away.  I won't start celebrating yet though, as terriers have a habit of morphing very quickly but it is a start.  Thank you for your suggestions.   It's great to be able to get a different perspective on behaviour issues as they are many and varied with a terrier.  I will see what tomorrow will bring.  Oh and it didn't work with the toys.  This terrier isn't that fixated on toys but of course that can change too!  :shrug: :wave:

Thought you might like an update.  I knew from past experience this could be an easy fix....it was just finding it that was the challenge and I came across it just by chance.  If I stand to the right of the open door the dog will come inside no problem at any time of day.  If I stand to the left of the open door of a morning or evening then the dog won't enter.  It's often like that with terriers.  They think way too much and the solution is often just a fine adjustment away....but that fine adjustment is not always obvious.  Thank you for  helping me solve this!

• Haha 3