Further info: diet & heart problems

On 7/1/2019 at 4:52 PM, sandgrubber said:

A month or so ago there was a flurry of reporting on DCM associated with grainfree dog foods.  A more thorough, but still inconclusive, study has come out.  For more information on the foods and breeds affected see

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2019/06/fda-update-on-grain-free-diets-and-heart-disease-in-dogs/

Very interesting site. Is there anything on the nexgard/simparica/bravecto seizure debate? 

48 minutes ago, Snook said:

Yes. A friend's dog ended up at the emergency vet the other night after being given Comfortis and her three other dogs all had a bad reaction too, but didn't need vet treatment. If you do a Google search for different brand names combined with complaints ("advocate complaints" as an example.. that's what I used to give my dog until a few years ago), you'll find lots of stories of dogs having seizures or vomiting amongst others, and even dying. There are also Facebook groups dedicated to some of the medications and what they've done to dogs. 

This is bad, nothing is safe these days. I actually wonder how effective these medications are

Edited by teddybeans

As with human vaccinations and medications, there may be adverse side effects in any individual human/animal. We hear about those mostly because human nature is to point out the bad, and not so much noise when everything is hunky dory. I'd be taking any outright claims of how "dangerous" any medication/vaccination is with a grain of salt, as the percentages of adverse effects versus no issues whatsoever may be a lot lower than claimed.

T.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

As with human vaccinations and medications, there may be adverse side effects in any individual human/animal. We hear about those mostly because human nature is to point out the bad, and not so much noise when everything is hunky dory. I'd be taking any outright claims of how "dangerous" any medication/vaccination is with a grain of salt, as the percentages of adverse effects versus no issues whatsoever may be a lot lower than claimed.

T.

Also (I am sure my vet would back me up here) I wonder what the percentages are for dogs presented to the vets for reactions to these preventative medicines, compared to the percentage of dogs presented to the vets with complications FROM NOT being on preventative medicine eg. ticks

• Like 4

We have all the "baddies" where we live, so just couldn't sleep at night if my dogs wern't on Nexgard Spectra.  Would be lovely to be able to live without, but to me, it is the better of two evils.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Snook said:

Everyone has to weigh up the risks for themselves and their own situation but most dog owners don't know the risks until something happens to their dog. I'm guessing that when it's your dog that is having seizures, vomiting blood, or dying, you're not going to be consoled by stats about the percentage of dogs who have that kind of reaction.

For sure Snook... but we seem to only hear about those cases... and that leads some people to draw conclusions about medications that may not be supported by the actual data.

I'm with you in that I only treat my own dogs if I see evidence of internal or external parasites. Not being in a high risk area, I don't see the point of doing them every month or so.

T.

The only thing I use regularly is heartworm preventative and even then I only dose every 6 weeks. And not with an all in one that does several different things. Straight heartworm preventative only. Had a heartworm positive dog next door to us years ago so it's in town.

• Like 1

Haven't seen a flea or a tick since I moved to New Zealand, and there's no heartworm.  I do worm for intestinal worms.  It seems like the responsible thing to do with so many sheep around... a bit like vaccination. You don't want to get it, and you don't want to spread it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

Haven't seen a flea or a tick since I moved to New Zealand, and there's no heartworm.  I do worm for intestinal worms.  It seems like the responsible thing to do with so many sheep around... a bit like vaccination. You don't want to get it, and you don't want to spread it. and 

Couldn't agree more. @sandgrubber.  Tasmania is officially hydatids free .. and people worked and continue to work hard to get it that way.  I have no problems complying with biosecurity requirements that dogs be wormed for hydatids when they come into Tasmania,  and making sure their hydatid worming is up to date when we go onto sheep properties for tracking trials.

(I also make sure they are protected against heartworm and paralysis ticks when we go travelling.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 4:52 PM, sandgrubber said:

A month or so ago there was a flurry of reporting on DCM associated with grainfree dog foods.  A more thorough, but still inconclusive, study has come out.  For more information on the foods and breeds affected see

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2019/06/fda-update-on-grain-free-diets-and-heart-disease-in-dogs/

Okay finally find  a kibble that doesn’t give my Sheltie flatulence Ivory coat fish and salmon and this grain free report comes out and Shetland sheoopdogs are on the list arrrrg

Whether any of us think that the studies into dangers of certain commercial foods might be 'inconclusive' - do we really want to wait until further studies are done to clarify whether a food is safe or not... after all it can take years before studies are actually taken seriously by Governments or Associations..... In the meantime are we having problems with pets health.

Remember the studies about the risk of juvenile desexing came out in 2012 but it was only 2019 that Dogs Victoria and Monash Vet University issued a Position Statement to state they do not recommend dogs/bitches being desexed until mature.....!!!

Me .... Im happy I feed raw food - at least I know what is going in the bowl....