NSW Greyhounds now muzzle free

Rebanne

1 minute ago, teddybeans said:

Sorry for my ignorance but why do they require a muzzle in the first place?  Are they typically an aggressive breed?

No ... they are sight hounds, with high prey drives - bred to chase  fast moving smaller animals  . The muzzles are to stop them using their jaws on some fast moving small fluffy ...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, persephone said:

No ... they are sight hounds, with high prey drives - bred to chase  fast moving smaller animals  . The muzzles are to stop them using their jaws on some fast moving small fluffy ...

Ah that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

does this muzzle rule also apply to whippets?

Only Greyhounds have routinely been required to wear a muzzle. Australia is just about the last country that has this law. Lots of people have worked very hard for many years to bring this about.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

Hopefully the mandatory leash rules will remove next, to become one more based off the individual same as other breeds and mixes of. It was the only thing stopping me from greyhounds way back then.

Seeing how quick they move when they want to chase something, I don't think I could agree to removing the mandatory leash rules. After seeing them chase down a horse, you would have no chance to recall them and they are gone before you ever have a hope of catching them. Much safer for everyone to keep them on lead.

--Lhok

• Like 3