Nipping around butt area

teddybeans

I don't know why, and its not flea season.  My boy has been going at his bottom all day.  the area just before the tail and also under the tail.  Its all brown now - saliva staining and there is also a part that is red and raw.

I rinsed him in that area with dog shampoo (virbac episoothe) and put some ointment on, seems to have given him some relief.  But I had to put a cone on him all morning in case he goes at it again.

What could have caused this?  It cant be fleas can it?  Something must have bitten him.

No smell, if it was allergies wouldn’t it be everywhere on the body.  The area he is nipping at on the right hand side of the bum.  It’s actually not the bum, it’s the back just before the tail. 

He has had allergies when he was young, usually he licks his paws and scratch like hell.  Not scratching this time

If he’s nibbling at the area at the base of his tail , esp the area above his tail on his back, it is most likely fleas, or possibly, flea. 

Ive been a dog groomer over 30 yrs now and I’d say 99 out of 100 times, even in the absence of visible fleas, it’s fleas. Almost always the owner says no fleas, and within a minute I can find one on the dog! If the dog has had flea allergy before, it has a compounding nature .....every time the dog gets fleas, the reaction gets more severe. Some dogs are truly allergic to fleas and ONE flea bit will have them itching and biting for up to a month as if they were still crawling with them.  

Id treat the dog as if it were a flea issue, and if the biting and chewing is making raw spots, or open sores, I’d also back it up with a short course of cortisone to stop it becoming a secondary skin infection. 

If the biting and chewing is most present directly on either side of the anus, then it’s likely an anal gland issue, which I would seek veterinary attention for. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Scratch said:

If he’s nibbling at the area at the base of his tail , esp the area above his tail on his back, it is most likely fleas, or possibly, flea. 

How are there fleas in this weather?  Don’t they only appear in summer?  

36 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

How are there fleas in this weather?  Don’t they only appear in summer?  

Fleas are sneaky little things, they hide in a pupae and body-heat or vibrations hatch them. :) You do still get random ones in winter like in the garden, as well as at the park or around places cats sleep. 

• Like 3

I don’t think it’s anal glands because the main area he is going for and red is on his back, not under his tail. The under his tail is only once in a while and I don’t see redness there.  He is also not scooting.

I havent given him any flea topical, I usually only give to him during summer, never had issues with fleas until well into summer.  I may give him a dose of advantage tomorrow if he is still itchy.  Since the bath this morning, it seems to have settled.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, persephone said:

with the flea comb..comb the dog from front to back in sections, and you will catch any flea that is on him .Better than just using chemicals "in case"  :)

cool thanks.  i haven't applied the flea treatment yet.  He hasn't scratched at all today.  Looks like the bath and cream helped.

On 07/07/2019 at 10:23 PM, teddybeans said:

I don’t think it’s anal glands because the main area he is going for and red is on his back, not under his tail. The under his tail is only once in a while and I don’t see redness there.  He is also not scooting.

The vet told me that often the base of the tail or down the sides is the closest the dog can get to the discomfort.  They don't always feel the pain under the tail.

Edited by jemappelle
  • Like 2