Proheart 12 Side Effects nearly fatal

Had my 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks have their Vaccinations  ( and as i am not 100% on keeping up with the heart worm tablets ) and my 2yo girl looked at for ? allergies associated with Lantana  as she loves to get underneath it ( neighbours have top cut back when dry ) we had Protech BB Protect C4 Vacinations  and ProHeart12 Injection advised as i was not good at the tablets.  We were prescribed Antibiotics Anti Histamine and some ear drops to stop ear scratching.  Left the Vet drove 10 minutes down the road to the breeder and talked for about 20 minutes total time since injections about 45 minutes. The girl started scratching like mad so i gave her 1 Anti Histamine  Not 2 as recommended as she clamped down on my thumb. the breeder said get her home to calm down we left drove about 1 2 kl down the road asked my son jokingly did he fart  he said not its one of the dogs and they have actual passed faeces so i pulled over opened the back of the car and was met by a Rhodesian Ridgeback that looked like a Chow Pei  Respiration rate at over 100 Tachy Cardic Covered in Lumps ( hives ) Totally swollen face and tongue lethargic.  Tried ringing the Vet Closed  after Hrs  trued the breeder told her the story nearest VET Animal referral Hospital Homebush so it was a quick trip there.  Got her in to the Vet as i had rung ahead  they took her straight in examined her by this time the anti histamine had kicked in as the hives had started to go down a little the Vet at the referral hospital gave IM Anti Histamine and we monitored her he stated that it was most probably caused by the 12 month Heart worm Injection when i rang the breeder back to tell her that my girl was OK she said that some dogs  Border Collies Ridgebacks and a few other can be susceptible to the injection.  By the way i am a Paramedic and i new the signs of Anaphalaxis / Allergic reaction so i think i am lucky that i still have my girl she still is not 100% but on the mend.  Spoke to the Vet Surgery where she had the injection seemed to thing it was something else apart from the injection.    Just be aware of ProHeart12  

• Sad 1

It's known to have a relatively high adverse reaction rate. I was always under the impression vets kept the dog in the clinic for a good half hour after the injection in case of a reaction, but I might be wrong. It's certainly not something I would give my dog, but I don't live in a high heartworm area. 

Hope your dogs bounce back quickly 

• Like 1

Heartworn injection has been well known for issues for far too many years ,its unfortunate that people don't say to there vet no thanks i want to personally research a product before giving it to the dog just like a human would generally ask questions about any meds a doctor prescribes .
We put in our puppy folders that we under no circumstances recommend it & if owners decide too its at there own risk .We actually don't heartworm ourselves as the risk of getting it in our area is so low compared to using any of the products
We strongly suggest to our puppy buyers if they want to treat there dogs then they just give a good old fashioned heartworm tablet .Most just put a reminder in the phone or on the calendar so easy to remember .
We also also wont vaccinate with C4 due to reactions & it was generally promoted that a dog didn't get its vacc & Heartworm on the same day .

Mind you i wouldn't have vaccinated my dog when it was having allergy issues on the day & requiring medication

Edited by Dogsfevr

When it first became available years ago, I didn’t then, still don’t, treat for heart worm, due to being in a very low risk zone , but a lot of my grooming clients were asking about it/hearing about it, so I asked my vet what his thoughts were regarding this annual heart worm treatment. His response was “I wouldn’t bloody put it in my dog” .......

• Like 2

Heartworm risk where I live is pretty high, so I dose every month with Nexgard Spectra.  No way would I agree to my dog being given a dose so high that it would last him twelve months.  I would dearly love not to have to give my dogs any of those monthly things...but I live where I live.  I cut the tablet in two, so that they are not getting overdosed as well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ian Cunningham said:

Protech BB, Protect C4 Vacinations and ProHeart12 Injection, Antibiotics, Anti Histamine, and some ear drops to stop ear scratching

Could have also been a reaction from the combination of any of the above... what was the antibiotic you were given?

T.