Attack in Melbourne

asal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-11/american-staffordshire-terrier-dog-attack-kills-man-in-melbourne/11298152

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/man-killed-woman-injured-in-horror-dog-attack-in-melbourne-backyard/news-story/ae54569cd7d3060f9671b8d14a5cd474

Such a tragedy, the poor family.  I do wonder why the police bothered to catch the dog instead of shooting it on the spot when still attacking the woman when they arrived? Although hope they do an autopsy to see if it had brain damage or something else to trigger what is being said is abnormal behaviour

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

"RSPCA Victoria's head of operations, Tegan McPherson, said there were a number of reasons why a seemingly healthy dog could suddenly attack.

"It can be a range of things such as genetics, its learning experience and training as well as its environment," Ms McPherson told ABC Radio Melbourne.

"Fear is generally the underlying emotion associated with aggression in healthy dogs."

cannot find my self agreeing with the rspca, but it does explain why SA justified taking the border collies, they were fearful of the strange inspector, they interpreted that as they could attack as a result.   

Certainly known many dogs that are bred to be guard dogs automatically being aggressive , the one that scared me most was a massive Neapolitan that by 9 months decided his job was to guard the cars parked at our pony club grounds. he would welcome everyone in as they entered and parked, he would come gambolling up wagging his tail and wanting to be patted, typical adorable BIG puppy... no problems then, even when is owner was no where to be seen.

BUT try to go back to your car without the caretaker, his owner with you, he would stand guard and begin to bristle if you kept coming and threaten to attack and he wasn't joking or bluffing, after one of the dads decided to ignore the threats and went to open his car door he was attacked... the caretaker decided to have him desexed hoping that may reduce the aggression, have to say everyone was relieved to learn he never woke up from the op... only his owner grieved his loss. Although everyone expressed condolences, we were celebrating in the clubhouse, because he didn't restrict himself to threatening us adults, he was terrifying the children too if the ran anywhere near the carpark.

The caretaker did lock him up in her backyard but he discovered he had no trouble clearing the six foot fence once he had decided he had his job to do.

Edited by asal

The police did try shooting to distract it as it was still attacking the disabled man at the time they arrived but that didn’t do much. Contrary to movies police can not go around shooting will nilly in a suburban environment at a rampaging dog.

This has happened very near me and is the hot topic in the community local group. I really feel for the son and his mother. 

Its so sad. I hope they get a biopsy or some kind of closure. And lots of counselling and support for what they witnessed. Such an extended attack. 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!

it was amazing actually that they did discharge the gun.

a friend was riding with a group and a car hit one of the horses and broke two of the horses legs.

the police arrived but refused to shoot it. citing they would have to fill our reams if they discharged a firearm.  called for a vet to come, but unfortunately the horse began to come out of shock and began fighting to regain its feet and threw everyone who had been holding it down kicking my friend in the head.

so then they needed an ambulance to save her life as her skull had been caved in by the kick.

• Sad 1