Sign in to follow this  
sparkycat

Zylkene - maintenance dose ?

5 posts in this topic

On my vets advice my nervous hound has been on Zylkene for 2 weeks. It appears to have made a big difference as I can now take her for a long walk around my town whereas before I had trouble getting her out of the driveway.

She is 7 years old and has been becoming more nervous in the last 12 months or so. I got her as a 3 year old after her previous owner died.

She is currently on 2 x 450gm per day - I have googled but can't find any info about a maintenance dose - it is expensive at $64 for 30 capsules.

Anyone had experience with it ?

16 minutes ago, sparkycat said:

On my vets advice my nervous hound has been on Zylkene for 2 weeks. It appears to have made a big difference as I can now take her for a long walk around my town whereas before I had trouble getting her out of the driveway.

She is 7 years old and has been becoming more nervous in the last 12 months or so. I got her as a 3 year old after her previous owner died.

She is currently on 2 x 450gm per day - I have googled but can't find any info about a maintenance dose - it is expensive at $64 for 30 capsules.

Anyone had experience with it ?

No experience with it.  Given it's active ingredient is a milk protein, I'd be surprised if dosage needs careful control.  I'd do a bit of research... maybe you can get the same effect from some dairy product. 

Snook   

I don't have any experience with it but this dosage guide was listed on a website. Being that the active ingredient is casein, I wouldn't think you'd see any adverse effects from reducing to 1 capsule per day if you wanted to see how she goes on a lower dosage. 

Zylkene 75mg

Up to 5kg 1 Capsule a day

5 - 10kg 2 Capsules a day

Zylkene 225mg

10 - 15kg 1 Capsule a day

15 - 30kg 2 Capsules a day

Zylkene 450mg

15 - 30kg 1 Capsule a day

30 - 60kg 2 Capsules a day

https://www.discountpetmeds.com.au/zylkene-450mg-30-capsules.html

37 minutes ago, Snook said:

I don't have any experience with it but this dosage guide was listed on a website. Being that the active ingredient is casein, I wouldn't think you'd see any adverse effects from reducing to 1 capsule per day if you wanted to see how she goes on a lower dosage. 

Zylkene 75mg

Up to 5kg 1 Capsule a day

5 - 10kg 2 Capsules a day

Zylkene 225mg

10 - 15kg 1 Capsule a day

15 - 30kg 2 Capsules a day

Zylkene 450mg

15 - 30kg 1 Capsule a day

30 - 60kg 2 Capsules a day

https://www.discountpetmeds.com.au/zylkene-450mg-30-capsules.html

Thanks - She weighs 37 kgs which is why the vet recommended 2 x450 per day.

Snook   
29 minutes ago, sparkycat said:

Thanks - She weighs 37 kgs which is why the vet recommended 2 x450 per day.

It sounds like that's probably the maintenance dose then. You could see if she's still doing well on half that or perhaps look for a more cost effective alternative? A couple of people in the group for clients of Justice's vet behaviourist said they had good results from the Blackmores Complete Calm chews. I think the active ingredient is tryprophan rather than casein, so you'd need to inform your vet if they give her any other medications, just in case it reacts with them. As I understand it from when I looked in to it for Justice, it can contribute to serotonin syndrome when mixed with certain medications.