grain free health problems

Please note that Sudden death may be the first sign of a problem.

We really do not know what is causing this problem BUT by far and large the companies on this list are not even admitting there is a problem let alone trying to work through what the underlying process might be. 

I would suggest talking to your veterinarian and discontinuing feeding grain free foods. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have always fed grain free. However, I feed a split of 35/65% - kibble/raw so am not too concerned. I'm not jumping on the DCM scaremongering bandwagon just yet.. These are the questions that I would ask owners of dogs diagnosed with DCM:

-Were they fed the same brand/food for every meal, every day? If yes, bad.

-Did the owners ever rotate through different brands/proteins regularly? If No, bad.

-Did the owners ever add fresh meat proteins to their dogs kibble regularly? If No, bad.

-Did the owners drastically reduce the amount of kibble from what was recommended on the bag? If yes, bad.

Edited by Christine_72
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Christine_72 said:

How did i do that? The Answers to all of this DCM hysteria are in the questions i posted

all the bad owners thing. Was totally rude and uncalled for. Thousands upon thousands of dogs have lived very well on one brand of dog food all their lives without any changes or raw added. Yet you have just condemned them all.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

How did i do that? The Answers to all of this DCM hysteria are in the questions i posted

Hardly hysteria.  Are you God that you have Answers (as opposed to answers) and can judge what is bad and good?  There's a serious lack of studies on long-term effects of diet on dog health, and a generous abundance of fads that aren't backed by much research, but greatly increase the cost and/or trouble of feeding your dog. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

I'm sorry, but your post came across as slick, judgmental and unhelpful.   

I would say that at this stage, no one has clear answers as to the issues being raised, but a lot of serious scientific work is being done to reach some valid conclusions.   I would not have thought that the FDA is prone to 'hysteria'. and they are certainly investigating seriously. 

The mention about rotating brands of kibble (or manufacturers) is in line with recommendations by several veterinarians in the US basing it on minimising possible harms - not just in relation to grain free or DCM).  

And depending how the word "drastically" is read in the line about reducing the amount of food from that recommended on the dog food bag , that point could well be read as  ..you're ""bad" if you don't feed the amount recommended on the packaging.  Given that one of the major health  issues that veterinarians see is dogs that are significantly or morbidly overweight, that is seriously unhelpful.

• Like 5

On 8/2/2019 at 1:56 PM, Tassie said:

And depending how the word "drastically" is read in the line about reducing the amount of food from that recommended on the dog food bag , that point could well be read as  ..you're ""bad" if you don't feed the amount recommended on the packaging.  Given that one of the major health  issues that veterinarians see is dogs that are significantly or morbidly overweight, that is seriously unhelpful.

The thing is, when people start feeding less and less, they are not only reducing calories but also the amino acids and vitamins/minerals. The recommended feeding guidelines are not only for the amount of food, but also  the nutrients the food contains. Feed less, sometimes a lot less, and the dog is also missing out on vital nutrients, Taurine being one of them.. 

It's a hard position to be in, as many dogs gain weight following the bags guidelines. If this happens, then adding in fresh animal proteins (balanced) to make up for the kibble deficiency would be the easiest fix.

Considering many of of the DCM cases involve overweight dogs or dogs on a permanent diet, i think this point is a biggy in getting to the root cause of DCM.