Golden puppy weight

Golden_mama

Hi everyone, 

This is my very first post in this forum. I am a new member so I'm looking forward to getting a lot of helpful information from all of you. 

As you can tell from my username, I am a proud mum of a golden retriever. My boy is now 6 months old. 

I have done my fare share of research on goldens so far and I learned weight is one of the biggest issues for this breed. 

My puppy currently weighs 29 kilo and when I say this to people they all get quite worried for him. However last time (2 months ago) when he visited his vet, she mentioned that as long as we can feel his ribs he's not considered fat. 

We can still feel his ribs but not as prominent as before. We barely give him snacks and he's mostly eating the normal portion of his dry food as instructed in the bag. So I don't know what else we should do to make sure he doesn't get overweight? Is it bad to lower his portion size than recommended instruction? He goes for 1.5 hour walks on weekends and once on the weekdays as both my partner and I are working full time. So we're not always able to take him for walks in the evening after work. But that's something I'm going to try to start soon. 

Or this weight is OK for his age as he seems quite tall  already so he might be just a big boy? 

Thanks

Welcome. First of all the feeding guidelines on the bag of food are just that, guidelines. So yes you can feed more or less if warranted. Keep in mind your dog will have a thicker coat in the middle of winter as well. You could drop his meals by a 1/4 of a cup and make up the difference with veggies ( very few calories ) if you are concerned about his weight. I have a fatty boombah here and her food is on the lower end but with added veggies so she doesn't think her throat has been cut.  As for the walks, there is no reason he needs 1.5 hours of walks after work. I know it's hard but if he could get a spin around the block he'd most likely be very happy with that if he is then let inside for the rest of the night to spend time with his people. At 6 months I wouldn't be doing 1 1/2 hours of walks on the weekend but rather do 30 minutes ( twice a day if you want ) and then several short training sessions during the day ( and one after work as well ). The training sessions only need to be a couple of minutes each time.

I have a different breed so can't comment on whether 29kg at 6 months is right or not. If you are still in touch with the breeder of your boy I'm sure they would be happy to help you with this :)

• Like 4

Hi Rebanne,

Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions. 

I did notice after a long walk this weekend, my puppy was so so tired. He slept the whole afternoon and woke up only to eat dinner around 8.00pm. 

He's normally very energetic and doesn't sleep for that long. So I might reduce it to 30-40 minutes walk on weekends. I'll definitely try for a short walk around the block on weekdays after work.

I might get in touch with the breeder regarding the weight issue because I really want to make sure he doesn't get joint problems too early. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

:) For dogs who spend all day in the same back yard /room, a 15-minute walk EVERY day is much more valuable than a 1.5 hr walk once a week pups especially need to experience the world of smells and sights & sounds around them as much as is possible.

Short training sessions are an excellent way to do several things :) To bond with each other, to educate each other in the language of DOG and human, and to teach the dog what your commands mean. 

Training sessions of 5 minutes, twice a day will help use up mental energy and relax your pup somewhat.

I might get in touch with the breeder regarding the weight issue because I really want to make sure he doesn't get joint problems too early. 

good point :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden_mama said:

Hi everyone, 

This is my very first post in this forum. I am a new member so I'm looking forward to getting a lot of helpful information from all of you. 

As you can tell from my username, I am a proud mum of a golden retriever. My boy is now 6 months old. 

I have done my fare share of research on goldens so far and I learned weight is one of the biggest issues for this breed. 

My puppy currently weighs 29 kilo and when I say this to people they all get quite worried for him. However last time (2 months ago) when he visited his vet, she mentioned that as long as we can feel his ribs he's not considered fat. 

We can still feel his ribs but not as prominent as before. We barely give him snacks and he's mostly eating the normal portion of his dry food as instructed in the bag. So I don't know what else we should do to make sure he doesn't get overweight? Is it bad to lower his portion size than recommended instruction? He goes for 1.5 hour walks on weekends and once on the weekdays as both my partner and I are working full time. So we're not always able to take him for walks in the evening after work. But that's something I'm going to try to start soon. 

Or this weight is OK for his age as he seems quite tall  already so he might be just a big boy? 

Thanks

29 kg would be heavy for a Lab at 6 months.  If you have to press hard to feel the ribs, it doesn't count.  But if you feel the indentations just running your hand along, I'd say you're good.  Ask someone knowledgeable to check for you if you're not sure.  Too lean is better than too fat for retrievers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden_mama said:

. I'll definitely try for a short walk around the block on weekdays after work.

Thanks again 

You might find it a good way to unwind as well :)

• Like 2

Welcome to you and your Golden Retriever lad.  (My second favourite breed :))

Good for you for thinking about his weight.   It is most important to keep Goldens on the lean side from about this age on, so  you lessen the chances of arthritis later in life.    Great advice from others already .. I would definitely be cutting down on the dry food.   For my Border Collies, the food bag recommendations have been anything up to double what they need.  And yes .. adding veggies ( . raw is probably better, and not too many carrots) is good.)

As well as the rib test … feeling without having to press .. they should feel like the back of your hand does .. covered, but not requiring pressure ..there's also the the tuck up/tuck in.  From the top, you should be able to see a definite tuck in at the waist .. the end of the ribs … and from the side with the pup standing, there should be a tuck up from the deepest part of the chest, to the hips.

And yes .. a good breeder will always appreciate you asking them questions .. they want their pups to have the best lives possible, and should be keen to educate their puppy people.

And …… we'd love to see photos.

• Like 3

Over exercising is just as bad as potentially overweight .

First off the bag ratio is a guideline .The bag ratios are based on that being the soul diet anything added each day is part of the diet .The idea is to adapt to the body condition in front of you so it’s important to regularly feel your dog which you will be when brushing your pup weekly ,brush time is great for bonding,Training and ensuring you are feeling and touching your dog regularly to notice changes .

That is a lot of weight for a Goldie of that age even if a chunky solid pup .

it could be perfect for your boy it could be over weight .

Generally good breeders discuss over exercising and 1.5 hrs is waaay to much for a 6 month old and nightly walks should be short .

With my Setters at that age I only do 15 mins twice a day ,I don’t do 1.5 until Atleast 2 yrs and there fitness has been solely built up and finished growing .

Joint health in puppies can decide so much in adult life .

At this age leash walking is about training ,seeing the world ,learning self control and life skills .

Mind games at home are a great training tool .

If your breeder is local ask to pop around and see what they think providing they actually are dog savvy and didn’t just have a litter 

• Like 3