Food suggestions for my old girl

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.  She is doing really well.  She has been on the Big Dog Barf Wellbeing and loves it.  She has half a slab of a morning with her painkiller and then half at night with 3/4 cup of her Royal Canin dry food.  So she is having both and enjoys it.  We haven't visited the vet as she stopped with her little vomits.  She does a little dance and runs around the kitchen every morning while waiting for her food so she's still in good spirits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SarasMum said:

Sorry for the delay in replying.  She is doing really well.  She has been on the Big Dog Barf Wellbeing and loves it.  She has half a slab of a morning with her painkiller and then half at night with 3/4 cup of her Royal Canin dry food.  So she is having both and enjoys it.  We haven't visited the vet as she stopped with her little vomits.  She does a little dance and runs around the kitchen every morning while waiting for her food so she's still in good spirits.

That is great news, but I am so damned JEALOUS !!!   I am having so much difficulty in getting a few of my dogs to eat, even Bunter who used to be a hoover.  He is on several tablets a day and he just spits out anything that I try to hide them in, even if he eats that same without pills!!   He can obviously smell them.   

Off to Woolies to buy a few cans of cat food to see if that helps.  He is nearly 17 and has dynamic airways disease which we have been able to control this fairly well over the past few years, with the occasional flair ups being managed by tweaking his meds.  For the past few weeks, however, nothing is working.  He can cough for hours and I am sure he is totally and absolutely exhausted.   I’d love to be able to try the Barf, but with five dogs, I think the cost would send me to the poor house :cry: :cry:.  

I have one little dog (Tamar) who used to be a “I eat simply to stay alive” and really thing, who now does the dancing and running around the kitchen like your Sara does, so I guess that’s something.    At the suggestion of my vet, I am also off to the chemist to get some Periactin to see if that will help another of the dogs.  

:banghead:      :banghead:       :banghead:      :banghead:

• Sad 2

• 10 months later...

Just thought I would update.  I have had no computer for a long time and my phone is annoying to use so haven't visited here at all.  Sari is still chugging along.  She is 15 3/4 years old now.  Her front elbow gives her a bit of pain but we are managing with meds.  She has Caprieve in the morning and the occasional codeine at night if she looks to be in pain.  She follows me everywhere now.  I can't pee without little feet outside the door.  She is still on Big Dog Barf, half a block morning and night.  She wouldn't eat her dinner for a few days and I realised she didn't like to mix her wet and dry so now she gets the barf and when that is gone we put her dry food in the bowl.  Fussy old girl.  She also comes back for a second breakfast, nuzzling her empty bowl looking just in case something has fallen in it since she last looked.  She sleeps a lot but also goes for a good walk around our large yard often.  I can't take her out on a walk due to all the unleashed roaming dogs but the yard is big enough for her anyway.

She is my shadow and I will miss her greatly when she is gone.

Edited by SarasMum
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

@SarasMum what a great age for your girl! My Sonny is almost 14yo now and he has been very fussy as he's gotten older. I have to rotate because he goes off stuff if he has it too many days in a row. He likes to have a range of options although he has pretty consistently hated the barf patties lol! Such an adventure with the oldies :)