SarasMum

Food suggestions for my old girl

32 posts in this topic

SarasMum   
On 03/08/2019 at 6:17 PM, Tassie said:

Thought that might have been the case.   So check with your vet and if the vet isn't sure get him/her to do some follow up research .. but a quick look at the Cartrophen site suggests that there is not a problem.  (I suspect part of the concern comes from the confusion with the NSAID Rimadyl - also known as carprofen .. which is problematic for kidneys.  Cartrophen has been around and widely used for 20 years, so there should be plenty of literature especially if it's problematic.

My mistake, it's not Cartrophen it is Carprieve she is on.

• Like 1

Snook   
18 minutes ago, SarasMum said:

Sari has bee on Big Dog Barf patties for a couple of weeks now and recently has started to have small cough ups with a small amount of vomit.  She has never vomited in her life.  This morning she had a little cough up on her bed and as I was cleaning it I noticed a long nail.  She had coughed up a chook claw.  It must have been stuck in her throat.   I might just go back to giving her dry food and soaking it to see how she goes, she loves the Barf but she can't digest the nails in it.  Something like this never even crossed my mind, I knew it would contain bone but not whole nails.

How odd. I've never seen a whole nail in any of the patties I've given Justice, and I mash his up every day to mix in 4cyte and probiotic powder, so I definitely would have seen it if there was anything whole in it. I'm inclined to think that it's just a bit that somehow got missed during processing. Maybe message the company on Facebook and ask them about it? 

• Like 1

Tassie   
5 hours ago, SarasMum said:

My mistake, it's not Cartrophen it is Carprieve she is on.

Thought it might have been.   It's  a pain that the two names are so similar.    And yes .. Carprieve is something I would use short term but I'd be looking for something else for long term.  The Rose Hip Canine Vital is apparently kidney sparing, but like a lot of arthritis supplements and meds, it works for some and not others.  

That was weird about the long nail in the Big Dog patty.   I'd definitely contact the company and ask about it.  What 'Flavour' were you using?  I usually use the COmbo, or Sensitive SKin if I can[t get the Combo .. and of course, Turdukken at Christmas.  I have see smaller than pinky fingernail slices of bone, but nothing bigger than that.  I ususally mash a knife or something in the meat they're getting in their bowl  . but mainly to spread it out a bit so they think they're getting more :laugh: … that might be worth doing.

6 hours ago, SarasMum said:

Sari has bee on Big Dog Barf patties for a couple of weeks now and recently has started to have small cough ups with a small amount of vomit.  She has never vomited in her life.  This morning she had a little cough up on her bed and as I was cleaning it I noticed a long nail.  She had coughed up a chook claw.  It must have been stuck in her throat.   I might just go back to giving her dry food and soaking it to see how she goes, she loves the Barf but she can't digest the nails in it.  Something like this never even crossed my mind, I knew it would contain bone but not whole nails.

Report this immediately!!!

• Like 2

SarasMum   

Thanks everyone.  I contacted them via facebook this morning and they have been excellent.  I sent them photos of the talon and the batch details on the box.  I'm not sure what flavour it was as it was the Combo box, middle layer if that helps?  They said the direction to the manufacturer was to never use feet or beaks so they're not sure how it got in there and are researching.

I mentioned to them that she has been having small vomits since starting on it and they suggested I switch her from the Combo to the Wellbeing, they are giving me a box for free.  They are also sending me some probiotic powder they have.

All in all I am happy with their customer service.  I understand that when you are relying on a third party things happen but at least this has brought it to their attention and in the long run it's probably lucky old fatty had a vomit.

• Like 8

Snook   

That's a fantastic response from them. I follow them on FB and they've seemed really focused on the quality of their products and good customer service, so it's nice to know they follow through with that when there's an issue. :)

I was going to try their probiotic powder but when I went to buy it, everywhere in SA and VIC were out of stock, so I've stuck with the Blackmores pet probiotic powder I was using since Justice is doing well on that anyway. I'll be interested in knowing if you think the probiotic helps your dear girl. 

• Like 1

SarasMum   

Sorry for the delay in replying.  She is doing really well.  She has been on the Big Dog Barf Wellbeing and loves it.  She has half a slab of a morning with her painkiller and then half at night with 3/4 cup of her Royal Canin dry food.  So she is having both and enjoys it.  We haven't visited the vet as she stopped with her little vomits.  She does a little dance and runs around the kitchen every morning while waiting for her food so she's still in good spirits.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SarasMum said:

Sorry for the delay in replying.  She is doing really well.  She has been on the Big Dog Barf Wellbeing and loves it.  She has half a slab of a morning with her painkiller and then half at night with 3/4 cup of her Royal Canin dry food.  So she is having both and enjoys it.  We haven't visited the vet as she stopped with her little vomits.  She does a little dance and runs around the kitchen every morning while waiting for her food so she's still in good spirits.

That is great news, but I am so damned JEALOUS !!!   I am having so much difficulty in getting a few of my dogs to eat, even Bunter who used to be a hoover.  He is on several tablets a day and he just spits out anything that I try to hide them in, even if he eats that same without pills!!   He can obviously smell them.   

Off to Woolies to buy a few cans of cat food to see if that helps.  He is nearly 17 and has dynamic airways disease which we have been able to control this fairly well over the past few years, with the occasional flair ups being managed by tweaking his meds.  For the past few weeks, however, nothing is working.  He can cough for hours and I am sure he is totally and absolutely exhausted.   I’d love to be able to try the Barf, but with five dogs, I think the cost would send me to the poor house :cry: :cry:.  

I have one little dog (Tamar) who used to be a “I eat simply to stay alive” and really thing, who now does the dancing and running around the kitchen like your Sara does, so I guess that’s something.    At the suggestion of my vet, I am also off to the chemist to get some Periactin to see if that will help another of the dogs.  

:banghead:      :banghead:       :banghead:      :banghead:

• Sad 3

Snook   
6 hours ago, SarasMum said:

That's a really wonderful update. I'm glad she's doing so well! 

8 hours ago, SarasMum said:

She does a little dance and runs around the kitchen every morning while waiting for her food so she's still in good spirits.

brilliant update :):)