Stay Loyal dry food

Hi everyone. Looking to find out people's experiences with this food. My 12 week old pup has had stool issues and gas issues since we got him. When we first got him at 8 weeks he had worms, so we put it down to that. Had him treated, put him on a chicken and rice diet for 5 days but it didn't clear up. Then the vet suggested fish and rice to make sure there was no chicken allergy. Did that for three days, cleared up for one day and then was back. We have tried MFM dry food turkey, tuna and sardine to keep him off chicken for two weeks. Still didn't clear up. Not permanently anyway. Sometimes his poops are ok during the day but then at night get progressively worse until it is almost water again. We have also tried black hawk chicken and rice dry food but that asnt helped either. Taking him back to the vet today to get his 12 week shots and have his stool tested. He is also itchy, shakes his head a lot and gets very cranky. Some of that can be normal I know but not to the level he gets it. We are starting to wonder if it is a grain allergy and now looking at a dry food called Stay Loyal. Looks like it is really good.

Our older dog gets fed a mix of dry food and raw but thought he would be too young for this. Now rethinking and might just put him on the same diet. Once we have the stool tested and know there is nothing medically wrong. 

Anyone have any experience with the Stay Loyal food? Also considering Ivory Coat. 

Thanks. 

That's a tough one.   A lot of food changes in a short time might be throwing him off a bit as well.       

My first thought  .. what was the breeder feeding.   I normally stick to that when thbe pup first arrives, for the few weeks at least while they are settling in .. they can sometimes be unsettled and occasionally have gastric issues just because of the change of environment, stress etc.  Had one pup who too a few weeks to really settle.

Stool test is a good move.   If he were mine I'd probably have bloods done as well .. to get a baseline if nothing else.

Subject to what the vet finds, it might be worth trying adding some cooked, mashed pumpkin .. that seems to help firm up stools.   And some good yoghurt .. something like Jalna fat free . … or maybe some Yakult.

• Like 1

The breeder was feeding pedigree, I didn't want to keep him on that. It's been 4 weeks now so don't see a point in putting him back on it. 

The vet told me to keep him on fish and potato until the stool test comes back. Should all be back by Friday. She said if that turns up negative I could put him on royal canin hypoallergenic to eliminate possible food intolerances. The vet said they don't recommend a grain free diet so couldn't comment on Stay Loyal or Ivory Coat. I figured they would react that way to the suggestion. So if the poop test comes back negative I can choose the royal canin or do our own elimination trials. 

I hadn't thought about a blood test. The vet said besides the poop issues he is a healthy pup. For now I wait until Friday. Then depending on results figure out where to go from there. 

The breeder was feeding pedigree, I didn't want to keep him on that. It's been 4 weeks now so don't see a point in putting him back on it. 

The vet told me to keep him on fish and potato until the stool test comes back. Should all be back by Friday. She said if that turns up negative I could put him on royal canin hypoallergenic to eliminate possible food intolerances. The vet said they don't recommend a grain free diet so couldn't comment on Stay Loyal or Ivory Coat. I figured they would react that way to the suggestion. So if the poop test comes back negative I can choose the royal canin or do our own elimination trials. 

I hadn't thought about a blood test. The vet said besides the poop issues he is a healthy pup. For now I wait until Friday. Then depending on results figure out where to go from there. 

Chopping and changing every 5 mins isn’t helping , and don’t forget vets know very little about food and get paid to push brands . He should have been kept on what he was used to until he settled in and then slow transition.

I would have bloods done then pick a food and stick with it . 

• Like 4

Poor baby.  

I also wouldn’t go entirely with the brands the vet recommends.  They will sell whatever brand they have and not necessarily know much about reviews (or better reviews) of other brands they don’t hold.

Has the vet given your baby any meds to firm up the stool?

What breed? Bone firms up stool so you could try some chicken wings or a whole carcass. If a bigger breed turkey necks or wings, might need to be chopped in half. But to save time etc in the future I'd just feed the pup the same as the other dogs food. At least 4 weeks before changing food again. Nothing wrong with Pedigree food. It's what everyone fed before the hype came out about the $100 bags of food and how you were a bad dog Mum if you didn't feed it.

• Like 4

No meds given. He seems to be doing great on the fish and potato. I'll leave him on it until Friday and then see what the report is from the vet. I won't blindly listen to what they say. 

Thanks for the replies. Guessing no one has any experience with feeding Stay Loyal dog food? https://stayloyal.com.au/stay-loyal-original-grain-free-dog-food.html?utm_source=google_shopping&154=3&155=7&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKHDTnMARq5Xuy__AiFWgVWZo3BDXfu3GsQgg95roiCW3M8gXYxnHiBoCdpcQAvD_BwE

I agree. He has been doing a lot better since we took him off grains. The vet told me it is incredibly rare for pups to have a grain allergy but he has had no further issues since not having them.

Glad to hear the kibble is good. I've ordered a big bag of it. 

Edited by Laura1981
  • Like 1