Degenerative Myelopathy

Hi guys, been a while since I've been on here, hope everyone is well. 

Just wanted to hear experiences with degenerative myleopathy, and knowing when the time is to say goodbye. My mastiff x ridgey rescue has DM, and I obviously don't want her to get to the point where she becomes paralysed, she deserves better than that. She is struggling, but can still go for short walks, get herself up and out, is happy and eating, can toilet herself although she looks a bit awkward, but the random incontinence has started at night, mass muscle loss and is losing hair all over her back legs due to scraping etc. She has pretty much all the signs of mid level advancement of DM. 

I don't want her to suffer, but I want to give her a chance while she seems still fairly mobile and interested. This has hit pretty hard and fast, and I'm struggling to deal with it. I've accepted she won't get better and her 11 years with me is coming to an end... but I constantly doubt when the right time is, as DM can be tricky I believe to judge (as mentally they seem fine, just their body can't cope). 

Any thoughts / experiences would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Kelly_Louise
More info.
  • Like 1

Sorry .. posted in wrong place.

But since I'm here … friend with a lovely GSD went to heroic lengths with her DM girl ..cart for the last year .. off road version as she lives on 5 acres.  Lots of outings.  But she is a nurse, and so she could manage the dealing with the loss of bladder and bowel function.. Another dog-loving nurse friend made the comment that she didn't know whether she could or would be willing to do that.    It's such a cruel disease, since they seem to keep their spirit and their enjoyment of living for much longer than seems reasonable.   :(

Edited by Tassie
Deleted post put in wrong place.

I know I don't do well with incontinence so I wouldn't want my angst being picked up by the dog. Occasional yeah but semi regular, no, I would struggle. That would be a marker for me. The other is, having waited 12 hours too long for PTS once, then I would always go early, while quality of life is good. I am not heroic. But every person is an individual and no one has the right answer for you.

Best of luck with you and your girl's journey, it's not an easy one :heart:

• Like 3

We had a whole night and morning of diahorrea. She seems okay otherwise and is eating and drinking... but we have a vet appt today. And after much research and your kind words, barring a miracle,I have decided the time has come to say goodbye to my friend.

Thank you for your kind words, they bring me comfort at a very sad and lonely time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6