Sign in to follow this  
Klayton

How legit is pups4sale?

8 posts in this topic

Klayton   

Hi, newbie here trying to get in contact with breeders for pure bred puppies...

Is pups4sale.com.au nothing different than Gumtree, in terms of legitimacy of the sales happening there?

Of course it depends on the individual breeder but i'm just after background info on purchasing puppies through the website...

I also see some breeders on pups4sale that are well known on Dogzonline.

And what is the difference between purchasing through the 'registered' breeders in Dogzonline versus the other websites like pups4sale?

Also, is it the best/safest approach to only contact/purchase through the registered breeders on Dogzonline? 

Tassie   

At a quick glance it's not somewhere I would look to buy from.   That's a lot of money for a puppy from potentially not the best breeding. 

Since this is a purebred forum, the advice you'll generally get is to buy from an Australian National Kennel Council breeder, such as those listed on Dogzonline .. though not all breeders list there.   Careful buyers will do some research not only on the breeders, but on the breed they're interested in .. particularly the health issues the breed may have, and good breeders will be only to happy to discuss those things with potential puppy buyers, 'and will have been careful to breed from appropriate adults .. not just ones they happen to have in their yard.  ANKC breeders will be quoting their ANKC registration number, and often will invite you to double check that with the State affiliate (in your case Dogs NSW for a local breeder.

ANKC breeders are required to follow a Code of Ethics, which is aimed at protecting the wellbeing of dogs and puppies and appropriate breeding.   But not even all ANKC breeders are the same .. some go above and beyond the basic requirements.   So it really is important for people looking for puppies to try to establish some sort of relationship with the breeders.    Sometimes visiting a dog show and when people are not too busy, talking to  people in the breeds you're interested in and getting some more information, and meeting the dogs they have there, can be a really useful thing for potential buyers to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JRG   

There will be a lot of people who are Registered breeders that advertise on Dogs4sale as well as Dogzonline. You need to check their registration credentials regardless. If they are from Victoria, they  should have  a PER number and similar ID from other States. Sorry you will have to do your homework - it just got very complicated as of 1st July 2019

• Like 3

Kez   

And beware use of the word “registered breeder” in ads.  

If the ad does not include the member number and a statement recommending the membership be confirmed with the state body (Dogs Vic, Dogs NSW, Dogs ACT, Dogs Qld, Dogs West, Dogs NT, Dogs SA & Dogs Tas) view it with extreme caution.  

You definitely should check the membership status.  People that have been de-registered (banned) have been known to continue using their membership number and/or their prefix in ads.

Not all breeders advertise online (many, because they have dogs so much in demand that they do not need to), so even contacting your state registry body can be a good place to start.

http://ankc.org.au/ContactUs

• Like 1

Rebanne   

I advertise on DOL, Gumtree, FB. Etc

There is no right or wrong place to advertise.

• Like 3

Dogsfevr   

Comes down to how engaged and what effort you want in asking questions .

Registered breeder covers a few orgs ,the quality of the breeder is a personal thing .

pick your breed ,phone breeders ,research,learn and buy with your head .

Many good breeders advertise where the public is most likely going to look and that is gumtree,the paper 

Edited by Dogsfevr

I have used all the Australian Dog & Puppy sites over the year's and found that Pups4Sale is the largest listing directory in Australia. They have been around since I started breeding which was 15 years ago.

Dogzonline has more members & has been around a long time too, but Pups4Sale seems to have more listings currently live throughout the year. Over the years I have used Pups4Sale 2 times to find my puppies and DOL once to get a dog from QLD.

So to answer your question, yes Pups4Sale.com.au is very legit, as with DOL. I would not use any other platforms but these 2.

Edited by SandyReeds
  • Like 1