Stud a dog

Erika Garini

Hi everyone, 

I have a beautiful Tricolor American Staffordshire Terrier that I would like to make available for stud duties. He is only one year old and has Pedigrees papers. 

I never had to breed a dog before but now hiring him as a stud dog is becoming an option so I would like to know everything there is to before I even consider to move any further.

What is expected and/or what can I expect?

How do you work out your fee/payment?

Does my dog need papers/exams from the vet? 

Any other information that anyone has would be great. 

Erika 

Unless your dog is very well known in dog circles , and excels in some aspect eg at the shows or trials You might find it hard to get suitable studs for him.however, you will need to get his hips and elbows xrayed and scored, eyes tested, genetic tests done etc. Stud fee is usually the price of a puppy, but is negotiable.

probably your best first move is to approach the breeder of your pup and ask him/her if they would be interested in his services. If they agree then you should probably give them a much reduced fee (or free service) in order to get your boy recognised?  Don’t expect to make much money unless your boy isVERY well known!

you will find that most breeders of standing have their own boys and will not be interested unless you have something rather special or unique.

sorry to sound a bit negative, I have been breeding dogs for 40+ years and only twice have I “fallen across” an unknown dog that I have subsequently used at stud and I imagine other breeders would be the same. - could be wrong of course.

• Like 2

Yes, health testing is needed. 

If he's not on main register, you, or the bitch's owner, won't be able to get puppies on ANKC Pedigree registration. 

It would be a good idea to get someone to mentor you because mating can get 'interesting' and it's best to have an experienced person around (eg, if the bitch isn't ready she may attack a dog that's acting too frisky... an inexperienced dog may not be able to insert and tie properly... the bitch may not want to stand still when tied). 

• Like 2

Just because you think he is stunning doesn’t mean he is . 

You need to know a lot about the breed to see if he is good enough . Breeders pick studs that are known and to compliment the bitch , not just ransoms . 

Why do you want to breed him ? 

• Like 2

It's great you are asking questions :) 

The most important question is this  > 
What terribly important thing in temperament or health does your dog have  to contribute which will improve his breed? 

Oh..and provided he does have a correct pedigree, and an absolute clean bill of health , great Xrays , perfect temperament , etc ... he will also need a test to see how fertile he is . 

• Like 2

The dogs breeder should be the person helping you .

If you brought from an ethical breeder who did all the right health testing they will be the person to best educate you and help you learn about the faults your dog has the qualities it has and whether he should be even breed from .

at the very least he will need his hips and elbows done .

If you brought from a good breeder they would have supplied you with the relevant paperwork from the registry they belong too and copies of parents health testing and whether your pup is clear by parentage of any breed issues that can be tested for.

You will need the papers in your name and join the registry those papers are with .

If the dog is on Li tied papers then it’s not for breeding .

Your only option is to be a BYB breeder supporter .

What is the fee ?For starters you will be the stud master,the person who deals with tricky matings  and getting the job down.The bitch owner is paying you for the service .

If your dog and many fit into this category not the greatest in the area then the dog maybe required to have an AI mating which is something you need to make clear to the owner of the bitch so they can consider any additional expenses .

If you are unable to work your male you will need to pay a stud master costs can vary and that is per mating .

Bitch owners may ask for a fertility check and check STD’s 

Also you not hiring to stud .

If you want to own a stud dog then you need to have ethics and morals and the ability to say no to a bitch that isn’t worthy .

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Erika Garini said:

He is only one year old and has Pedigrees papers. 

..and as Dogsfevr mentioned ..is he on Main, or Limited register ? 

Main..........you can do what you like with the animal, show, breed etc..

Limited.......no breeding or showing but you can do obedience and other similar activities.

Have you been showing your boy at all? That would give you the networking and kudos for good wins that may be required to get him out there and recognised as desirable by others...

Unfortunately hiring your dog out as a stud isn't as easy as just advertising for him to get "dates with the ladies"...

T.

• Like 1

There are good reasons to broaden the number and range of dogs used at stud. Show ring criteria don't always improve a breed, IMHO.  I'd rather a dog with great temperament and some conformation faults than one with great conformation and problem temperament, especially in a bull breed. That said, almost everyone thinks their dog is special.  You need to define and make clear what makes your dog worth breeding. 

• Like 4