Chicken Frames

Tess32

I just realised my local butcher offers a box of chicken frames for $5.  There are about 40 in there, medium sized.

I have a 28kg collie,   would one a day be okay on the days that she has them?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tess32 said:

I just realised my local butcher offers a box of chicken frames for $5.  There are about 40 in there, medium sized.

I have a 28kg collie,   would one a day be okay on the days that she has them?

Only if they are lean... Lest you end up with a 35 kg collie.  When I had a source of cheap frames I spent a lot of time filling the trash with gobs of fat. 

1 hour ago, Snook said:

The first time I tried transitioning my dog to a completely raw diet he was getting a few chicken frames a week and he became constipated and refuse to eat any more of them. All dogs are different but I wouldn't personally give mine more than one whole chicken frame a week. It seems to be too much bone for his digestive system. 

Yup, I can see that happening.  I have labs.  Just because a Labrador can eat it with no bad effects doesn't prove it's digestible :).  I can't remember the last time one of mine got constipated. 

The breeder I got my second cattle dog from fed her adults a chicken frame a day, so I did the same without any problems.  Nice dry hard white poos were great if you accidentally stepped in one!  However, I did give him other things, eg sardines, 4x2 biscuits etc.

• 3 weeks later...