Enclosure for feeding dog with food aggression

HunterDoggy

On 23/08/2019 at 9:29 AM, Two Best Dogs! said:

I saw this DIY remote treat dispense and thought of you!

unknown.png?width=365&height=500

if its too small to read, it's pvc piping. In the doorway is a hook or something to help hold it up to get more incline. they're rolling kibble down it.

Thank you for sharing and thinking of me! We did think of this! It is a good idea but we are going to try something else first. Thanks again 

• Like 1

So, just an update for everyone following along.. After discussing it, my husband and I have come up with hopefully a secure idea we hope will work well. We are going out today to pick up what we need so I’ll be sure to update you with how it goes!

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, HunterDoggy said:

So, just an update for everyone following along.. After discussing it, my husband and I have come up with hopefully a secure idea we hope will work well. We are going out today to pick up what we need so I’ll be sure to update you with how it goes!

Please do :)

• Like 2

you just said he runs outside, then runs back? so why not shut the door before he gets back?

think JRG's idea sounds heaps safer than what you are doing .

if still nervous, go with the divided crate idea to be doubly sure, all you need is to be able add a slide door.... either a side or top one, works either version.

unreal as it sounds we had a rabbit, english import that was so savage that is exactly what had to be done.. double cage with lift up sliding door so he could be shut in one side to clean and put food or whatever in the other side, then pull out the slider and put it back when he went into the other... ditto for matings, but the doe in one side, take out the slider and replace it when he followed your hand to attack it when you wanted to remove the doe again..... he sired great stock. none with his rotten behaviour or he would have been into the pot.

no idea why he was like it but you wouldnt believe the damage a rabbit can do with those teeth until you saw it and he could jump over 3 feet to sink em in and he was only a tiny Netherland Dwarf.

Edited by asal

Thank you Snook! Your idea worked! :clap:

So there you all go! Our not so pretty situation we have going on.. One crate for him to wait in, a plank of plywood to lift up and then the second crate to safely place food in and for him to eat. Topped with his blanket for extra comfort and privacy. No contact with him and us while using this and no stress! It worked well for our first night so let’s see how it continues once he gets used to it..

5ACEB7D9-09B4-429B-A063-03FA0C48D56B.jpeg

• Like 12

Thank you all for your support. I truely appreciate it. It’s been a long hard journey so if this works out well I will be so grateful to have a lot of less stress in our lives at feeding time. I’ll be sure to update in a little while to let you know how it is going .. thanks again! :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Just a thought for the future, what if you change the routine around around each night?   

Agree!

try not to be too predictable.   Keep him guessing!  You do not want him to think that he will get fed every time you put him into his crate.  Maybe feed him at different times of the day if that is possible or let different people feed him sometimes.  Anything (within reason and safety) to stop his wild anticipation of food!

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 4:50 PM, Boronia said:

can you pop him in his crate and slide the feeder-bowl-part of an automatic feeder under the wire (if there's a space to do this)

something similar to this

https://www.petspest.com/automatic-dog-feeders/

this one may do the job as it's voice activated, you may have to hunt for a similar voice activated one as the postage is horrendous---> feeder link

maybe you will need to buy a crate with a slot at the bottom though

this one also may be a plan  https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-feeding-supplies/petsafe-smart-feed-automatic-dog-and-cat-feeder#

Good advice...I was in a similar situation and used the automatic feeder.

Although you don't need the really fancy ones that cost a fortune, I'd just go to Amazon and dig around a little bit, they have the non-electronic ones that are as little as like $30.

That little guy is so cute!