Lab proof dog beds

Sonic

She's only in the run when I am at work, the rest of the time she's in the house. Under supervision I can control the destruction. In the run she has hammock beds and blankets in the kennel. I loosely call them blankets, really just scraps of material now. 

• Like 1

She's trained and walked every day with extra clicker training in the evening. She has company in the run with her mother. I do like the idea of straw in the kennel, will give that a go

• Like 1

Sounds expensive! Unfortunately dogs are often expected to be satisfied doing 'nothing' through the day but their behaviour can tell us if their environment is meeting their needs. A bored dog left to find its own entertainment will often find something we don't like, barking, running a fence line, digging, destroying things etc. For the sake of the dogs mental health it pays to reassess what's going on if you repeatedly see the same thing happening. Being a young active dog and as TSD says he's possibly looking for mental enrichment. Wanting to rip and shred might be his 'thing' or its all he can find to do? Maybe check out this great site for DIY ideas on boredom busters? It can be a tough job meeting a dogs needs every day but it's important we do. Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canineenrichment/?ref=share

Get a pallet.  Nail (or screw) a bit of carpet to the top.  Change carpet as needed. That's what we did for destructo dogs in the boarding kennel. 

My own labs have a nest, made of old doonas, blankets and other soft stuff from OP shops and garage sales. Destruction is permitted.  

Edited by sandgrubber
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

old doonas, blankets and other soft stuff from OP shops and garage sales. Destruction is permitted.  

same here  :) towels etc to start with ..& then if they do just sleep in & rip ..warm stuff :) 

Edited by persephone

Kuranda dog beds. 

I have a golden retriever who destroyed every bed and blanket. Kuranda beds are more expensive but well worth. 

Also a truck tyre with straw in it works well. 

Edited by Shelza
  • Like 1

I have a 6 month old BC pup & we have just been away camping for a month.  He has destroyed almost every dog blanket I own.  It's not so much that he is eating through $50 notes, but I worry about what he is ingesting.  & yes he gets all the usual attention, walks, exercise, training etc & has plenty of chew toys. goats horns etc.  Lately he seems to be completely uninterested in frozen stuffed Kongs.  Would these Kuranda beds stand up to a BC pup??

I just remembered :o  One thing I have used !!
You could try a good shadecloth  :)  it isn't as much fun to rip/chew as there isn't the mouthfeel doesn't seem as satisfactory, and there isn't  "Tear/rip" noise/sensation. it folds/scrunches, yet holds warm air reasonable well in quantity ..metres & metres.

It even survives the pig  ;) 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 2