Inquiry into animal cruelty laws in New South Wales

Tempus Fugit

How do people interpret this? 

Seems worrisome that the Chair is from the Animal Justice Party. How were other members selected? 

Is the 'charitable organization' in question the RSPCA? 

Edited by sandgrubber

Charitable organisations are RSPCA, Animal Welfare League, and the Cat Protection Society - those are the ones with the powers to "enforce" the Act (POCTAA).

I'm loving some of the terms of reference... shit is gonna hit the fan if they do the investigations right... sweeeet!!!

(c)the adequacy of the standard of care and kill rates for stray, surrendered or seized animals under the control or supervision of the approved charitable organisations

Basically, it's a "do as we say, not as we do" situation there...

(b) the ability of the charitable organisations currently approved under section 34B of the Act(“the approved charitable organisations”) to achieve the objects of the Act, including:

(iii)any conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest between the investigation and enforcement of the Act, and one or more of the following:

(a)commercial activities of the approved charitable organisations including corporate sponsorship,

(b)industrial proxy membership payments or donations,

(c)private interests of board members, consultants, and senior staff,

Hmmmm...

(d)whether it is effective and appropriate for non-government charitable organisations to be granted investigative and enforcement powers for criminal prosecutions under the Act, with regard to their:

(iv)accountability to government and the community

YES!!!!

T.

• Like 1

I don't want to put anyone out to roast but I do want an effective animal protection and welfare agency in this country. If they are found to be too far from the acceptable mark on those two single points then they need to go.

I'm actively following the Storybook case through the courts here in QLD. Seizures happened in March and the case has just been scheduled for mention every single month since. How do they not have enough evidence gathered to prosecute a case in 6 months? That's 6 months where a potential abuser can do more harm to animals OR it is 6 months where an innocent persons life is turned on its head. Either way it can sometimes mean 6 months in limbo for an abused animal being kept as evidence too. And what is the point of it all when even if a conviction is made the penalties are paltry? 

Things have to change.

• Like 4

I'm all for an agency that does the right job when it comes to enforcing POCTAA... but not when that agency is taking the piss and abusing it's powers. There are 2 other agencies that have exactly the same powers as RSPCA, but no-one actually seems to know that fact... why is that?

As for the process of litigation in these cases, @Little Gifts, the average time for it to actively go through to the trial stage is 2 years!

T.

15 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

I'm all for an agency that does the right job when it comes to enforcing POCTAA... but not when that agency is taking the piss and abusing it's powers. There are 2 other agencies that have exactly the same powers as RSPCA, but no-one actually seems to know that fact... why is that?

As for the process of litigation in these cases, @Little Gifts, the average time for it to actively go through to the trial stage is 2 years!

T.

Bloody terrible.

mmm saw a post yesterday about a heap of birds and parrots seized in queensland, said were neglected?..............now there's photos of them up for sale?

no charges laid yet, but they are for sale?

7 hours ago, asal said:

mmm saw a post yesterday about a heap of birds and parrots seized in queensland, said were neglected?..............now there's photos of them up for sale?

no charges laid yet, but they are for sale?

The usual tactic is to bully you into surrendering the animals at the time of seizing @asal... if they decide to take a lot of animals, they tell you that you'll be up for holding fees at $xx per day per animal if you don't surrender them, etc, etc...

What they don't tell you is that you don't actually have to pay any of those fees until if/when you are actually found guily in court of any offence regarding those animals.

They also have up to 60 days (from memory) to lay charges after seizure.

So technically, the animals you have had taken from you, and bullied into surrendering, could be sold off long before you even get charged or start the legal process of trying to defend yourself.

T.

someone posted this on Face plant

never seen it before

https://www.shootersfishersandfarmers.org.au/rspca_inquiry_needed

Pity its taken ten years but so exciting it has happened, even if it turns out  a whitewash at least proves  enough have made the pollies decided they need to at least make it look like they are doing something...

was reading some Temple Grandin quotes

This one is a standout   "“The first thing an effective manager must do to take care of the animals is get rid of employees who are bullies.” – Temple Grandin"

the biggest problem with rspca they actively seek the bullies yet the victims have no avenue of appeal.

the only time they find they are in trouble is when they slip up and bully other employees. then and only then can a complaint be lodged and something done.

not good enough.

Just spotted these figures.   amazing, rspca nt are not allowed to do their own prosecutions. only the public prosecutor as it always was before they went rougue in the 1990's

zzzzzzzzzrspca prosecution rates.jpg

Edited by asal

• 1 month later...
I noticed the enquiry does not give the dates the submissions need to be in?

learned yesterday it started 8th August.
and still listed as "current"
hope everyone sent in theirs.

I noticed it also says this
"Legislative Council Select Committee on Animal Cruelty Laws in New South Wales
This committee was established on 8 August 2019 to inquire and report on the effectiveness of arrangements for the administration and enforcement of the laws of New South Wales for the protection of animals from cruelty.
In accordance with the resolution of the Legislative Council, the committee will begin its inquiry in the third week of October 2019 and report by 2 April 2020.
  • Contact us
Chair:Pearson, Mark (AJP, LC Member)Members:Amato, Lou (LIB, LC Member)Banasiak, Mark (SFF, LC Member)Boyd, Abigail (GRNS, LC Member)Mason-Cox, Matthew (LIB, LC Member)Secord, Walt (ALP, LC Member)Veitch, Mick (ALP, LC Member) "

• Thanks 1

Amazing, it is Sunday and have received three replies saying the submission will be forwarded to the Inquiry.

this is the last one

with more information than the previous two.

Dear S,

The select committee that's has been formed to conduct inquiry has not had it's first meeting, this is due this week. Once that has occurred details of our to send submission and closing date will be published on website.

Kind regards 

Mark Banasiak 

I thanked him for his reply and  just received this...

Dear S,

No problems at all, please feel free to pass on to all you know who are interested, more details should be up on the parliamentary website by Friday.

Kind regards

Mark Banasiak

I had sent copies to everyone named in that link that was on dogzonline.... interestingly one of the persons named in that link does not seem to be aware he is named as being on the committee.e.g. ......

.Dear inquiry

I have received this unsolicited submission and I am forwarding it to the inquiry.

If you have any further inquiries, please contact my staffer member - Sachin Saxena.

Regards

Walt

Honourable Walt Secord

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:45 PM, asal said:

Just spotted these figures.   amazing, rspca nt are not allowed to do their own prosecutions. only the public prosecutor as it always was before they went rougue in the 1990's

zzzzzzzzzrspca prosecution rates.jpg

In the light of the current horse slaughter controversy the number of 0 routine inspections  is interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

received notification, they are receiving submissions

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/listofcommittees/Pages/committee-details.aspx?pk=263

then click on the submissions button

which brings up this page

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/inquiries/Pages/lodge-a-submission.aspx?pk=2550

been thinking I should contact the people of Katoomba so they can make submissions about how trusting the rspca and inviting them to partner them in the shelter they bought, erected, the two shops they also bought so the income from the shops paid for the shelter and then in I think it was 2017 rspca nsw decided to liquidate both the shops, sold them then gave notice to all the shelter staff it was to be closed and sold as surplus ........all money taken as assets of rspca yagoona............the only reason it is still open the people of katoomba fought to prevent the closure and sale...although with their two shops gone, no income to pay staff or maintenance as before, when it was entirely self funding itself        ........they certainly were stupid to hand their hard worked for facility over to rspca nsw...........

Edited by asal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone can also fill in a survey regarding the matter...

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/listofcommittees/Pages/committee-details.aspx?pk=263

Click on the "online questionnaire" link and go for it...

Alternately, click this link to go directly to the survey... https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PYY8SZY

You will have to give your name, postcode, and email address to participate, but I recommend that as many people as possible have their say...

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1