Sign in to follow this  
Tempus Fugit

Inquiry into animal cruelty laws in New South Wales

69 posts in this topic

asal   

I have contacted  about the latest rspca seizures of the cattle and he has contacted me to say he will take late submissions when the subject is as important as what has just happened so although it is closed... if it is serious breech he will accept them for submission and has

gee some pretty well written ones. for example 123

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

asal   

It’s about time RSPCA powers were reassessed

• The Morning Bulletin
  • 7 Dec 2019
  •  
img?regionKey=MSUsJTY3FAzuEwPXDUjtZA%3d%3dPicture: Zizi Averill ANIMAL WELFARE: The RSPCA seized 1500 head of cattle from the properties of a NSW farmer over fencing issues. They were in good condition not like these "drought affected" cattle after the long dry season.

FARMERS need not worry about animal activists coming onto their property and walking off with a cow, pig or a sheep, that they may be trying to rescue and put in the back of a vehicle.

RSPCA can get a government department to tick and flick their recommendations without checking the facts for themselves, walk onto your property at any time and seize your stock for whatever reason then muster and stuff them on to several trucks and send them to market. Heed the warning from John Williams a farmer in NSW recently on Alan Jones, Sky News. No one is safe. RSPCA seized 1500 head of cattle from his properties according to John not 1100 in a sweeping raid. When I saw his story on the news I could not help but notice the good condition of the cattle as everyone else did, and the feed in the background. Thinking something was wrong I immediately got in contact with my counterpart in NSW.

This person took charge of the terrible wrong that was happening like a dog with a bone and steered John in the right direction to get his side of the story out there.

Who are we? We are animal activists who are disappointed and angry at the direction that the RSPCA in these tough times for everyone has taken and in particularly taking against the elderly and farmers, people with intellectual disabilities or those do not have the capacity or education to effectively defend themselves and those with mental illness. They are the most vulnerable people in our communities who have no money for legal representation to tell their story. Their informal advocates are ignored. I thought that the RSPCA supported Beyond Overwhelmed. I must be wrong.

In a bazaar twist, John started to restock his property this morning buying his own cattle back that were stolen from him. He should not have to do that. Apparently it was all over fencing he could not get done, not animal cruelty.

The powers that have been given to the RSPCA need to be reassessed. Reassessed in WA where they no longer do prosecutions. Many people are now supporting an investigation into the RSPCA and it should be done across Australia.

Lyn Laskus

• Sad 1

asal   

not a one, I suspect they have made them hidden, the lady asked me if I wanted my name withheld or confidential. I think I ticked name withheld but beginning to wonder did I hit confidential? just cant remember. have the acknowledgements of receipt  and asking me which I wanted them to be so I know they have them.

while we were discussing I did tell her I realised how ill submitting them has made me. which I think may have made her decide to make them confidential

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

asal   

Hey, How many know you can listen to the people being interviewed tomorrow?

Could have today, But I didnt know

You can listen live, tomorrow.......... just click on the links to listen tomorrow. wish had replay of todays available.. only just learned this

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/listofcommittees/Pages/committee-details.aspx?pk=263&fbclid=IwAR1BcynOOEbG9bwO4FUNk-pOfrBclCGA9i2vAxpfBMzxYUPAWzQNezDfJKw#tab-hearingsandtranscripts

This is the direct link to the list of people who will be interviewed and asked questions and the times they will be... its two pages of names and times.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/lcdocs/transcripts/2293/Hearing Schedule - 13 Feb 2020.pdf

This is the direct link to the webcast for tomorrow. 13/2/2020

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pages/macquarieroom-webcast-page.aspx

Edited by asal

tdierikx   

I notice that very few private citizens are being interviewed... just industry groups...

Hopefully they will call a few of us private citizens to talk about our experiences with RSPCA... not holding my breath at this point though... *sigh*

T.

asal   

it was pretty upsetting listening to the representatives from the National Farmers Federation...........they didn't have a clue.

were saying what a wonderful working relationship the NFF has collaborating with the rspca.

even worse, happy with them doing the prosecuting with not a freaking clue that was not their field at all. Had always been done by the Public Prosecutor until they decided there was more money to be made doing it with their own inhouse team of money gatherers , (and that's literally), he became the President of rspca nsw.   Talk about conflict of interest, wasn't even put out for tender