Whatever Jeune wants Jeune gets - update 9 April

Loving my Oldies

Interesting question, @PANDI-GIRL.  I simply don’t know :( :(.  It wasn’t always like this and there was a time that I could feed all the dogs together.  

All I can recall is that both Jeune and Tamar started to carry on as though their food bowls were hiding snakes or full of poison and would take ages to eat if at all.  

Tamar eventually got over that with the help of an appetite stimulant, but which did nothing for Jeune.  Despite being fed exactly the same, Jeune would hang over Tamar’s bowl, so I would swap them around and then she’d start eating.  :banghead:  :banghead:

And Jeune became even worse and would eat something one day and then refuse it forever more and so we have reached the current situation.  A few months ago, I started her on Peractin (an appetite stimulant) which I think might just have started working a little bit but not enough to arrest her weight loss.  

Hopefully supplementing  the little she eats on her own will help her.  

:crossfingers:  :crossfingers:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Three months on and precious Jeune is still hanging in there.  She is very very thin and I am still syringe feeding her.  Her stools are normal, she will still take herself downstairs (if I notice this I will carry her down) and soaks up the sun - when it is there.  

I have found something she loves !!!!  Late last night I went shopping and all the bread was gone, so I ended up buying a Brioche loaf.  When I cut a couple of slices to toast for breakfast, I gave a little bit to Jeune. As she hoovered it down, I cut some more for her and then a bit more.  I am sure she’d like more, but I don’t want to overdo it.  

• Like 5

That's good news.  My old Giant was like that.  If we had to take her to the vet she would always make it clear to us that it wasn't her time to go.

You could feel the relief coming from her once we left the vet surgery.  Dear Pepper lived until she was 16.  A good innings for a Giant Schnauzer.

• Like 3

Today, my beloved crossed the Bridge to join so many of my little dogs.  It was clear the time was right, but it absolutely broke my heart.   Jeune has been in my life since November 2003 when she came as a little foster girl of 3 years.  

This was the last photograph which I took because she’d eaten everything in her bowl.  

49719124547_ce1c37310c_m.jpgIMG_1191 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

And below a thread I started when she was first diagnosed with a tumour.  Hard to believe it is nearly 4 years.  

• Sad 5

I'm so sorry DDD, you will miss her so much, she has been part of the Dogz family for so long, what a grand little one she was.

She will have the best company over the bridge and her tummy will always be full and her food bowl will always be licked clean.

B xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh Cyn... I'm so sorry...

I am priviledged to have met sweet Jeune and been granted the honour of a pat/cuddle... she will be remembered by me with love and smiles... she deserves that...

My beloved Woosie will be showing her all the best hidden treats to eat, the best places for bunny chasing, and the ultimate sunny napping spots.

Huge hugs to you my friend...

T.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

I am priviledged to have met sweet Jeune and been granted the honour of a pat/cuddle... she will be remembered by me with love and smiles... she deserves that...

And you took the best photos I have I her.   When I am not so raw, I will take a trip down memory lane with them.    

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

And you took the best photos I have I her.   When I am not so raw, I will take a trip down memory lane with them.    

I am so glad that I could be part of creating some lovely memories of sweet Jeune for you Cyn... she was a huge character in that little body... I'll remember that about her with smiles...

T.

• Thanks 1

So very sorry that you had to  farewell her.   Dear little thing .. she certainly landed on her four little feet when she became you foster fail.  No-one could have given her more love and care.  Take good care of yourself.    And thank you for sharing your precious little girl with us.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone.  You have all been through this loss and pain, so it is very comforting to have kind and understanding words from those who come from a place of knowing.  

Two loved ones gone in a couple of months - such a strange feeling.  After Danny died a few years ago, I was a three dog family for only a little while as I started to foster again.  But I don’t have the energy or drive to start that again. The past year has been difficult because I am a born worrier and, in terms of my little dogs, I have had a lot to worry about.  And I’ve been sick for months with a diagnosis only a couple of weeks ago: Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.   Not looking for “poor little you” just telling why I don’t have the energy for fostering anymore.  

So we are back to three little dogs: Tamar 16, Mezza 16 and Sooty 14.  Tamar has been with me nearly as long as Jeune as I fostered her just a few months after Jeune in June 2004. Poor little Tamar was a complete nervous wreck, her first rehoming didn’t even last 24 hours and as she had turned to Jeune for comfort, eventually I could not bear to separate them.  She was about 6 months old and spent her week in the pound listed as a male.  Still makes me angry and sad.  Jeune was uncommitted, but Tamar was attached to Jeune by an invisible cord, moving when Jeune moved, going downstairs when Jeune went downstairs (even in the dead of night), getting into Jeune’s bed and, when they used to sleep on the bed, if Jeune changed spots, Tamar would move to be close to her.  I remember being quite surprised when I noticed that Jeune was going down to the bottom of the bed, but Tamar was staying in her place at the top of the bed.  

Strangely, this started to change a few years ago and I wonder if it had something to do with Jeune having been diagnosed with cancer.  It was quite a dramatic change in that, until a few years ago, Tamar would not even start eating unless Jeune had started.  I am quite relieved this separation happened because I have seen in one of my dogs, a long time ago, the terrible grief at the loss of a mate.  So despite one strange thing happening this morning, Tamar has not shown signs of distress.   The strange thing (and probably quite unrelated to Jeune’s passing) was that Tamar came into the bathroom, lifted her head, gave one great screech-cum-bark and left the room.  

Because she is the only dog I’ve adopted who was a puppy (apart from my first two dogs in 1993), I’ve always called Tamar my puppy and she still is, just a 16 years old puppy.  She has her own problems having been diagnosed with Upper Motor Neurone disease.  Luckily, she is very light so, although her back legs are all over the place, she stills gets around easily although she does fall over quite easily and trips over things (like the water bowl) despite them being in the same places forever.   

Tamar loving Jeune:

49756506162_cc3c9d0a62_m.jpg2009 Jeune and Tamar on the bed 1a by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

49755645023_1415112628_m.jpgTamar Jeune 2 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

49755645058_62f26e8466_m.jpgTamar Jeune 1 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 3

So sorry to hear of the loss of your grand little lady. Such beautiful photos too. I’m sure she’ll be truly missed by you and your other dogs but at least you would have lots of sweet memories. Take care.