Whatever Jeune wants Jeune gets - update 9 April

Loving my Oldies

Amazingly, Jeune turns 19 in a few weeks .... according to pound papers from November 2003.  Yes, 2003, that is not a typo.  :laugh:

A couple of years ago, a tumour was found between her backbone and colon. She has been on meds (liquid med so syringed) to inhibit growth ever since and she is generally well and not in any pain.  Jeune has always been a funny (as in odd odd) character.  She screams blue murder when hardly touched, I’ve never been able to cuts her nails (the vet has to do that), she must have eaten well at one stage because she was a bit porky.  She is very very stubborn and there is no way she will do anything she doesn’t want to.  However, she has become very very thin in the past couple of years and over time I have tried a heap of different foods and also meds to try to give her an appetitie.  She will ravenously (relatively speaking) eat something at one meal and then refuse it forever more :banghead:  :banghead:

Bunter is also on a heap of meds and he is refusing everything that he used to wolf down with pills hidden in them.  So on the weekend I went to the deli (twice) to buy a heap of different foods to see what would tempt him.  Tried savs, sausages, liverwurst, different meats, etc etc and nothing worked.  So left with all this what I would call rubbish, I looked down to see Jeune looking at me with big hungry eyes .......  you can guess the rest :laugh:  :laugh:.  Jeune LOVES savs, sausages and, particularly, pizza.  And Bunter loves pizza too, so I keep a slice and hide pills between the cheese topping and the crust.  So far so good.  

There are multiple containers of savs and sausages in the frig to cut up into tiny pieces and mix in with Jeune’s normal food.  

So, at the ripe old age and doing remarkably well, Jeune can eat as much rubbish as she likes :heart:  :heart:  :heart:   Obviously I keep an eye on her, I don’t want to make her sick, so don’t worry that I am sending her from the frying pan to the fire LOL.   

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Tassie said:

Oh bless her .. dear old thing! … And nice to have found the pizza secret  for hiding meds.  Your dogs are lucky to have such a thinking outside the box owner. :laugh:

When I discovered Jeune loved pizza, I can’t claim it was from my thinking outside the [pizza] box :laugh:  :laugh:.  She was hovering in the kitchen, looking both miserable and hopeful and wouldn’t say what she wanted when I asked her.  Surely she doesn’t want some pizza, I thought.  Not Jeune ???  But I gave it a try with a little bit and she kept coming back for more ...... and more ......and more.   I buy those Dr Oetker Mozzarella ones but I’m thinking I might have to start buying “Meatlovers” ones for the dogs.   

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2019 at 11:24 AM, PANDI-GIRL said:

How funny are dogs & their little ways  :laugh:

Jeune has reached a very good age,  how long do these little guys have for a normal life span

Dogs are living longer and longer, @PANDI-GIRL, which is why here is so many more medications around these days.  As for humans, now that dogs are living longer, all the ailments of old age are being presented and need to be mitigated. When I hear that someone has a small dog aged 11 or 12, I think .... oh that’s young :rofl:  :rofl:.

You’d know from being a DOLer for a long time, that I have always been drawn to the older dogs.   My youngest dog now, Sooty, is 14 soon.  I still think of Tamar as a puppy, but she turns 16 in January.  Mezza is shortly to turn 16 and Bunter is 16/17.  Since Jeune and Tamar came to me in 2003 and 2004 respectively, I have had many many more dogs, some only for a couple of years and some only for a few short months :cry:.  

I guess in the past (ie a couple of decades ago) some of my dogs would not have reached the ages they have.   

4 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

..   are the dogs still sleeping on their  floor beds,  or did they convince you otherwise?  

What a memory! Yes, they are still on the floor and they adapted very quickly, but I still feel mean and nasty.  Sooty wakes up anytime between 1am and 4am and I have to let her onto the bed because there is no way of outlasting the crying becoming screaming if I don’t :eek:  :eek:.   Poor Mezza is so jealous.  I have nearly weakened several times because of Jeune - she would wander around to my side of the bed and look up at me with such an appeal in her eyes, but one of her lapses was the final straw and I have to remember that.  They now all settle down straight away.  I miss having them on the bed, but I can get a few hours of unbroken sleep now  :laugh:  :laugh:.  

21 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Dogs are living longer and longer, @PANDI-GIRL, which is why here is so many more medications around these days.  As for humans, now that dogs are living longer, all the ailments of old age are being presented and need to be mitigated. When I hear that someone has a small dog aged 11 or 12, I think .... oh that’s young :rofl:  :rofl:.

You’d know from being a DOLer for a long time, that I have always been drawn to the older dogs.   My youngest dog now, Sooty, is 14 soon.  I still think of Tamar as a puppy, but she turns 16 in January.  Mezza is shortly to turn 16 and Bunter is 16/17.  Since Jeune and Tamar came to me in 2003 and 2004 respectively, I have had many many more dogs, some only for a couple of years and some only for a few short months :cry:.  

I guess in the past (ie a couple of decades ago) some of my dogs would not have reached the ages they have.   

interesting yours are living longer, my experience is few dogs are making it to 17 and over as the dogs our family had normally lived to when I was a kid, Grans kelpie lived to 19, a friends Chihuahua's 18 and  21

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jeune is still losing weight - down to 3.65 at the vet today :cry:  :cry:.  Eats teeny tiny meals and if it weren’t for my giving her food via syringe she’d probably average about a tablespoon a day, if that.  

The vet I saw today had not seen her for a long time and she was somewhat taken aback at how frail she looks.  

Still, she continues to surprise me.  I took her downstairs this evening so she could do a wee and left her for a few minutes to have a sniff around.  When she was ready to go back up, she stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for her slave.  Not long after that, I went out onto the deck and there she was leaping up the stairs like a spring lamb.   So she’d obviously gone down again !!

I worry about her every day, of course, and I know the end is near; the tears are close most of the time ............

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 13/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Loving my Oldies  Maybe if Sooty slept in a small travel carrier,  placed on a chair or side table right next to your bed,   this might help her sleep longer being so close 

I have done this with Pandi & she sleeps until I get up  :thumbsup:

@PANDI-GIRL, I’m sorry I missed this.  Sooty is sleeping well on her bed on the floor beside me.  She regularly sleeps through the night  . . .  even if I don’t  :( I had to stop her sleeping on the bed as I was sleeping so poorly worrying that she would fall off and undo the operation on her leg.  I was prepared to have to be deaf to her entreaties, but she just settled down.  I was surprised.   

• Like 1

As I said above, Jeune continues to surprise me.  A couple of videos from this morning and one of Bunter a couple of days ago:

Tamar and Jeune hoeing in (all things being relative :() :

49134655368_22ebba6a7a_n.jpgIMG_1129 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

A little while later, Jeune deciding that Sooty’s breakfast is pretty good:

49135335002_bf7005ed96_n.jpgIMG_1130 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

And just for fun, Bunter cleaning up the chopping board for their roast chicken.  Bunter is nearly 17 and suffers from Dynamic Airways Disease so he is on heaps of medication ..... even a puffer three times daily   :eek: 

49135145541_c3f06a3fbf_n.jpgIMG_1128 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Jeune is still losing weight - down to 3.65 at the vet today :cry:  :cry:.  Eats teeny tiny meals and if it weren’t for my giving her food via syringe she’d probably average about a tablespoon a day, if that.  

The vet I saw today had not seen her for a long time and she was somewhat taken aback at how frail she looks.  

Still, she continues to surprise me.  I took her downstairs this evening so she could do a wee and left her for a few minutes to have a sniff around.  When she was ready to go back up, she stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for her slave.  Not long after that, I went out onto the deck and there she was leaping up the stairs like a spring lamb.   So she’d obviously gone down again !!

I worry about her every day, of course, and I know the end is near; the tears are close most of the time ............

Poor little thing .. that is worrying .. but I loved the videos ..and your story of the little minx doing the stairs by herself (as long as you weren't watching :).   Even though the inevitable is getting near, it's lovely to see that she definitely has quality times in her days.  :heart:

4 hours ago, Boronia said:

Does Jeune like warm scrambled eggs LMO?  perhaps even garnished with a little grated cheese

I used to think I’d give the dogs a treat and cook this up. . . . epic fail.  Even those who had appetites refused this.  

I’m being quite successful with syringing food in that she doesn’t fight me and she keeps it down so she must not be feeling sick.   

• Like 2

Yippeeeeeee.  The little bottles have arrived and they are perfect.  Already filled and Jeune has already had one.  Took me a fraction of the time (and frustration) than it would have taken to fill just a couple of syringes.  They are 30mls and filled with a mixture of Royal Canin Mature, home made bone broth and Nutrigel.  

49176272627_826f48c233_n.jpgIMG_1131 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Looks delicious  :eek:    but I'm sure Jeune is thrilled with this food on tap,  good luck moving forward with mealtimes :thumbsup: 

Ha ha ha.  Nutrigel doesn’t smell too badly (molasses based) but I’ll pass on the rest.  She eats (eventually) at just about every meal and sometimes hoes in as though she hasn’t eaten for a month, but the amount is miniscule.  

I feel quite lightheaded really at the relief of being able to get so much more food into her.  And the fact she keeps it down seems to mean that she wants it, she just wants help with it.  

• Like 4