Couple of quick questions

juice

Someone came into work today to buy  allwormer as she had picked new dog up from pound vet Monday after being desexed and said he was supposed to have been wormed too but still had them in his poop . 

Would it take a while to kick in , or was he likely not done if they are still visible ? 

Secondly , new puppy question , if crated at night , water in crate or not , as might knock it over ? 

Edited by juice
Spelling

Re the worms... could be a few reasons they are still visible in the poop...

* heavy burden of worms, and/or dosed wrongly (if the worms seen are alive/moving in the faeces)

* heavy burden of worms and are still being evacuated (if worms are dead in the faeces)

* the worms are tapeworm, and the allwormer used didn't cover them (most only cover hook, whip, and round worms)

* the dog wasn't wormed at all

Re water in crate overnight... best bet is to get a bowl with a heavy base (or a non-tip type), so pup doesn't knock it over.

T.

thanks T, was hoping you would respond!

I basically told her all that about the worms, so phew, got it right.

I never leave my guys with water in crates ( although they sleep with doors open now anyway), but wasn't sure what the deal was with pups . We sell the buckets that hang on crates, but they can flip them up and knock them off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juice said:

I never leave my guys with water in crates ( although they sleep with doors open now anyway), but wasn't sure what the deal was with pups . We sell the buckets that hang on crates, but they can flip them up and knock them off.

use a clip to attach the handle to a bar, makes it a lot harder to flip them. FWIW my first greyhound had tapes show up and he had been wormed 3 times! ( with an all wormer that covered tapes) forget what got rid of them but I did have to consult a vet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rebanne said:

use a clip to attach the handle to a bar, makes it a lot harder to flip them. FWIW my first greyhound had tapes show up and he had been wormed 3 times! ( with an all wormer that covered tapes) forget what got rid of them but I did have to consult a vet.

The regular flea tapeworm and hydatid tapeworm are fairly easy to see off with a tapeworm specific over the counter wormer... however, there is another type which needs a vet to prescribe some fairly hefty costing stuff to get rid of - but they aren't very common thank dog!

Pups should be fine without water overnight in the cooler months, but I'd always have some in the crate during summer - regardless of the fact they may play in it...

T.

I always leave water in the crate and when we raise our litters they have water  24/7 .

pups shouldn’t be expected to go with out ,if feed biscuits late it will make them thirsty and I don’t want water gullets in the morning .

Limit the quantity but continue with what pup has been use too .

As for wormers many of the reasons mentioned or a change of product is required .

• Like 1