Licking stitches

My 6 mth old female Sheltie was de-sexed yesterday.  We we got her home she was drowsy so didn’t mind the Elizabethan collar, but later last night she looked miserable so we put a pair of underwear on her lol while she lay in the living room with us.  Over night we put the collar back on but this morning when I went into her room she was sitting up and looking miserable.  Any other suggestions to the collar as I don’t think she will last a day let alone 10 days.

When my little girl was desexed she too had the Elizabethan collar and absolutely hated it and looked soooo miserable. It was winter at the time so during the day when I could keep a close eye on her I put a coat on her. Even though she could then reach the stitches she never did. But funnily enough when I took the coat off to give her a chance to have a scratch etc then she’d attempt to lick them. So coat back on and she’d  stop. 

39 minutes ago, sheltiesrule said:

I was thinking maybe a sleeveless and leg less baby onesie and I could cut a whole out for her tail lol or maybe the bitch in season pants, not sure if my local pet store would sell those.

This can work well - just fasten along the dog's back not under her tummy.

(Boots (in the pic) had stitches on his chest  between his front legs)

boots in baby grows.jpg

4 hours ago, sheltiesrule said:

Thanks everyone.  Off to the shops when hubby gets home to buy some onesies.

Hmmm..
onesies .
the fabric may catch on stitch ends and pull ..irritating the wound .... make sure the garment is not tight fitting .
Probably unsuitable to leave on an unsupervised pup ,   :( too much to chew etc .