Thrifty eaters

sandgrubber

Have others found some breeds are thriftier eaters than others? 

I've had Labradors for decades and now have a young Springer.  She eats more than the Labs do, at around half the weight. 

No surprise, in one way.  I've known for a long time that my Labbies will get very fat if I feed them the amount recommended on the bag (or the raw diet recipes). But it is a surprise to find that a dog of another breed can consume so much and stay slim. 

Pickles (17kg) eats the same amount of food as Harper (36kg)... errr! I put it down to Pickles' mobility issues mean that she burns more energy than Harper... neither is fat (or skinny)...

They both eat raw chicken carcases, thigh pieces, turkey necks, and/or giblets and are fine specimens for their ages - Pickles will be 9 later this month, and Harper tuned 7 a couple of weeks ago...

I took Pickles to my vet clinic work placement yesterday... no-one believed she is 9 years old. The vet gave her a once over and reckons she's on par with a very healthy 5 year old dog - and her teeth are gorgeous... lol!

T.

• Like 3

Thyme eats the same amount as Thistle. Except where she is 30kg... he is a teeny tiny 19.5kg. They’re both eating more than the recommended amount. 

He is a smidgen more active than she is, almost. Would depend on the day. They’re both pretty active. 

My theory is he burns the extra calories by sniffing everything so much. Doubles the outtake ;) 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 1

My GSDx is on a bout 1.25kg of raw with a higher fat content and I'm always having to adjust as he's up and down. Currently sitting at 32kg, was 30 a few weeks ago. My mum's Koolie x gets like 300g or something and is starting to get a little pudgy, and that sucker never stops moving. Mine's also still intact, the other was neutered at 5 months.

• Like 1