Phantom dog pregnancies

Kazm

Just after some general information, opinions and experiences with phantom dog pregnancies. A really good friend of mine has a mini schnauzer who ‘should’ be pregnant. She owns both the male and female. Both purebreds, both first timers as is my friend. Neither her or her husband saw the dogs tie (they both work) although there was plenty of action going on. She has been in contact with me the whole time. I haven’t seen the little girl but from what I am told she has shown most of the signs of being pregnant although hasn’t put on much weight.  And my friend seems doubtful. I know that with my girls I never had any doubts. Tomorrow is actually 63 days from when the “action” started so really she should be due anytime. I am talking to her later today. They were going to do an ultrasound weeks ago but the vet they wanted to see was on holidays so they decided not too. I would love any info that might help as I don’t want them having any problems. Obviously a vet visit might be a good idea. I don’t know a great deal about phantom pregnancies but if that is her case then when would she be back to her “normal” self again?

Tell them to get to the vet today! Sorry but this just makes my blood boil! If there is only one or two pups labour might never start then they will all die! They obviously won't have done any proper care of a bitch in pup either. Or got supplies in. Bloody hell.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kazm said:

Just after some general information, opinions and experiences with phantom dog pregnancies. A really good friend of mine has a mini schnauzer who ‘should’ be pregnant. She owns both the male and female. Both purebreds, both first timers as is my friend. Neither her or her husband saw the dogs tie (they both work) although there was plenty of action going on. She has been in contact with me the whole time. I haven’t seen the little girl but from what I am told she has shown most of the signs of being pregnant although hasn’t put on much weight.  And my friend seems doubtful. I know that with my girls I never had any doubts. Tomorrow is actually 63 days from when the “action” started so really she should be due anytime. I am talking to her later today. They were going to do an ultrasound weeks ago but the vet they wanted to see was on holidays so they decided not too. I would love any info that might help as I don’t want them having any problems. Obviously a vet visit might be a good idea. I don’t know a great deal about phantom pregnancies but if that is her case then when would she be back to her “normal” self again?

If it's that far along, xrays will work... most vets can do it 

• Like 3

Actually they have been looking after her very well and giving her all the necessary care a pregnant bitch needs. They have everything set up and on hand for when birthing takes place. The only thing they should have done was visit the vet in the first place. And I can’t help it if the vet they wanted was on holidays.  I know all to well that labour may not start if she’s carrying 1 or 2 pups. I have been down that road personally and this is why she has been in constant touch with me and has listened to all my advice. And for the record I got my girl to the vet. Needless to say she had a cesarean and spayed at the same time. We lost 2 pups but took 2 beautiful boys home with their mum. Obviously my advice to her today is get her to the vet. 

• Like 1

Sorry @Rebanne if my reply sounded a bit stroppy but people should not automatically assume that others that want to bring puppies into this world are doing wrong. These 2 dogs, the male and female are much loved family pets and are totally well looked after. Couldn’t ask for better dog owners. Breeding is something her husband wants to get into and they have not taken this decision lightly. These people are good sensible people not just someone who thinks “oh , we’ve got a male and female , let’s have puppies”. They are much better than that. They assumed their little girl was pregnant as signs were there. The dog has been totally healthy and happy the whole time. It has just been the last few weeks when my friend assumed that the dog should have been putting more weight on that she started to have her doubts and that’s when phantom pregnancy was mentioned. Hence my starting this thread. People just need to offer advice without thinking the worst of those asking.

sorry Kazm but you haven't seen the bitch so are relying on what you are being told by inexperienced people. Fancy not getting your bitch looked at because your preferred vet is on holidays! Even in your first post you said " Obviously a vet visit might be a good idea "  Might be a good idea! So both dogs have had all their health tests and they are registered breeders? Dogs are of good standard?

For the bitches sake and any pups I hope all goes well but no I don't think highly of your pet people. Over and out.

• Like 1

Don't need a bright vet to do an ultrasound ,most in a clinic that offer the service can could have done it so there choice to either use that as an excuse or not want to pay money .
They have also opted not to go after the vet returned off holidays .
The only advice is they sit there & hope she isn't or they make the effort to get the the vet & pay the money to check.
Not sure what advice you want people to give in a situation that no one can give a safe answer .

There not even sure if they mated so this is an unknown & as they don't know if she mated they actually wouldn't know what day she is or even when correctly due as he could have humped her for how long .
They want to be a breeder then go get the right answer its that simple

• Like 2

Thankyou for those of you that replied nicely. For those others, well I will only say this once as I am not an argumentative person, but please do not judge people you haven’t met just by reading a few words about what is going on in their lives.  Usually comments can be taken either way - good or bad. Nobody should assume “bad” first up. Give the benefit of doubt. 

I love this forum and love reading about everyone’s experiences etc and I have also learnt so much myself but the one thing that I see frequently is people making nasty replies and judging people. People come on this forum to get opinions and advice on problems they may have and just because we don’t always agree with what others are doing we should not criticise them. Most people try hard to do their best but when confronted with new things well hey none of us are perfect. We all make mistakes. We have all started out inexperienced.

My lifetime motto is “ if you haven’t got anything nice to say, then don’t say it at all. 

1 hour ago, Kazm said:

An update. The little female is not pregnant but she is healthy and happy. She is eating, sleeping and playing as she should be. Seems her normal self.

That's good news that she is fine and dandie Kazm, it's a pity there are no pups but maybe for the best and there is always a 'next time' then her owner will be more aware of what's needed and keep on top of things.

I think some of the comments were, perhaps, harsh, but mostly that comes with concern for the dog so it's usually 'wade in, boots and all' with the hope that the OP will do something NOW.

Maybe some of the posters need to tone it down a tad and try a gentler approach, we could chase members away with bossy attitudes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kazm said:

Thankyou for those of you that replied nicely. For those others, well I will only say this once as I am not an argumentative person, but please do not judge people you haven’t met just by reading a few words about what is going on in their lives.  Usually comments can be taken either way - good or bad. Nobody should assume “bad” first up. Give the benefit of doubt. 

I love this forum and love reading about everyone’s experiences etc and I have also learnt so much myself but the one thing that I see frequently is people making nasty replies and judging people. People come on this forum to get opinions and advice on problems they may have and just because we don’t always agree with what others are doing we should not criticise them. Most people try hard to do their best but when confronted with new things well hey none of us are perfect. We all make mistakes. We have all started out inexperienced.

My lifetime motto is “ if you haven’t got anything nice to say, then don’t say it at all. 

Great motto BUT those who posted had there priorities right & that was the dog not the humans who may have been offended being told the vet was the only safe answer .
You posted in a pet section where the general knowledge of this area is zilch,those of us who did reply with the only concern being a bitch "who " may be pregnant because they never saw a mating ,could be 63 days based on no actual mating date  & owners who have no experience & no one who has actually seen the dog to give a safe answer .
If we had all replied just wait a few more days & she was pregnant & in trouble bitch could suffered a worse fate  so i can happily live with replying blunt & to the point than the follow up post being owners waited it out & bitch dead we shoulda have gone to the vet .
Planning on a litter isn't a mistake ,the actions we take or don't take afterwards is the mistake .
They have been very lucky many other bitches aren't .

• Like 2